• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Anyone ever have neighbors complain to you about stuff that they should just talk to your customer about?

Ready to Mow

LawnSite Gold Member
I find this happens occassionally and it's kind of irritating. Basically what I think happens is the neighbor sees me more often than they see their neighbor and wants me to do something different to the customers yard. Then it's like I have to be the messenger and tell the customer, but I basically tell the person the same line everytime. I say well I won't do any work without the customers consent. I think maybe they can't get the neighbor to trim something or whatever and they're hoping i'll just do it real quick thinking i'm dumb. NOT gonna happen. I've even had customers want me to go work on properties that they didn't even own themselves. Who do you think is going to get in trouble? ME duh!

OP
R

Ready to Mow

LawnSite Gold Member
You totally lost me ?
I said a neighbor comes up and asks me to do something to my customers yard and i'm saying this is irritating, don't talk to the yard guy, talk to your neighbor, then that way my customer can decide if they want me to do some extra work.

OakNut

LawnSite Platinum Member
I've had neighbors comment about things that should be done, but aren't.
"I can't make them pay me to do things they don't want to pay for."

I had one guy ask me why I only mowed half of the strip that runs between two driveways.
I told him that I assumed that the property line ran down the center.
"Well, yeah, but it looks stupid when you mow half of it and my half isn't cut."
Then he goes on to say "It would only take you a few more passes."

Yeah... "no".

Mowing monkey.

LawnSite Bronze Member
I've had neighbors comment about things that should be done, but aren't.
"I can't make them pay me to do things they don't want to pay for."

I had one guy ask me why I only mowed half of the strip that runs between two driveways.
I told him that I assumed that the property line ran down the center.
"Well, yeah, but it looks stupid when you mow half of it and my half isn't cut."
Then he goes on to say "It would only take you a few more passes."

Yeah... "no".
I’ve got a yard like that. It would probably take me 1 maybe 2 passes tops but then I’d have to blow off the second driveway and it’s like 150’ so that’s a no. I mow a little short of the property line but the non paying neighbor has several trees over the line so I figure that’s really their job to deal with. Oh and I used to mow both property’s but the second ( actually the first) customer fired me because someone owed them money and they were having them mow to make up for it.

grass man 11

LawnSite Senior Member
Not often. It’s more like a neighbor would come out to give us “advise”. Then we tell them we’ll sit that’s not in our current agreement for service.

jetson

LawnSite Senior Member
I use to be nice to the neighbors. Now I’m just like. Um no don’t have time. And then I hit the throttle to full speed on the mower, trimmer or blower and just get back to work. Neighbor will do anything or say anything to get something done they want..

Brucey

LawnSite Senior Member
Sometimes when I first start cutting a new lawn the neighbor may come up and introduce himself, and give me a little background on the client, who I've often never met in person. So and so is a hermit and never seen unless going to/from work, or this one is totally nuts etc. It really doesn't bother me as long as they pay their invoices. I'm usually friendly in these encounters because you never know when a time will come when perhaps you get your big ztr bogged in the back yard and maybe the neighbor can help with the extraction.

Perhaps if I had a different philosophy I'd say something cool like "I don't discuss client business" like in The Accountant.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I find this happens occassionally and it's kind of irritating. Basically what I think happens is the neighbor sees me more often than they see their neighbor and wants me to do something different to the customers yard. Then it's like I have to be the messenger and tell the customer, but I basically tell the person the same line everytime. I say well I won't do any work without the customers consent. I think maybe they can't get the neighbor to trim something or whatever and they're hoping i'll just do it real quick thinking i'm dumb. NOT gonna happen. I've even had customers want me to go work on properties that they didn't even own themselves. Who do you think is going to get in trouble? ME duh!
Client confidentiality
I’m sorry I can’t discuss the clients business with you,
However if there’s something you want done with your own property I’d be happy to give you a quote?

Most of the time if you mention money they will go away
Other wise it’s a business opportunity
Something I learned from verbal Judo
Change your point of view from adversary to opportunity and you’ll find a solution

I’m also of the natural mind set “beat it kid, you’re bothering me”