Anyone ever hire ex cons?

greenmonster304

LawnSite Platinum Member
I was thinking of offering a job to my good friend’s cousin but he has pretty bad conviction on his record. At 21 he was arrested and convicted of vehicular manslaughter after hitting a guy crossing a busy road. He had a few drinks and was deemed under the influence, served 5 years. Other than that he is and was a pretty good guy. I know it’s terrible that he killed the guy but I would be lying if I said I never drove after a few pops and could have ended up in the same position.

He has been struggling to keep a job since he was released because he is not allowed to drive. He lives walking distance to my shop.

Any thoughts?

Mark Stark

LawnSite Fanatic
We've had a number of guys who have criminal records. Couple of my guys right now did some time in jail and one of them did some prison time. If they've been rehabilitated, why not?

A guy who killed somebody by having a few too many drinks made an awful mistake and could certainly learn from it. On the other hand a guy who was a convicted rapist or pedophile is not somebody who I think can be rehabilitated. So I personally wouldn't be interested in hire one of those people.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
I think the type of crime is the biggest issue.

We run background checks on every potential new hire.

If they have a history of sex crimes or thievery that is a deal-breaker.

Everything else is on a case-by-case basis.

To speak to your specific situation I would hire him.

Sounds like he got drunk he got in an accident he served his time and that's that.

Doesn't seem like an habitual offender or a lifelong Criminal.

We hired an arsonist ....lovingly called him fire guy. He worked with us for a few months.

Andrew H

LawnSite Gold Member
I was thinking of offering a job to my good friend’s cousin but he has pretty bad conviction on his record. At 21 he was arrested and convicted of vehicular manslaughter after hitting a guy crossing a busy road. He had a few drinks and was deemed under the influence, served 5 years. Other than that he is and was a pretty good guy. I know it’s terrible that he killed the guy but I would be lying if I said I never drove after a few pops and could have ended up in the same position.

He has been struggling to keep a job since he was released because he is not allowed to drive. He lives walking distance to my shop.

Any thoughts?
He’s not going to be driving for you, but if you need a laborer, I’d consider it if he’s cleaned his act up. it sucks he killed a person, and he’ll have to live with that the rest of his life, but I’d probably give him a chance.

how
Recent was this incident and why has “not being able to drive” making it hard for him to hold a job, seems like everyone is looking for help

Andrew H

LawnSite Gold Member
I think the type of crime is the biggest issue.

We run background checks on every potential new hire.

If they have a history of sex crimes or thievery that is a deal-breaker.

Everything else is on a case-by-case basis.

To speak to your specific situation I would hire him.

Sounds like he got drunk he got in an accident he served his time and that's that.

Doesn't seem like an habitual offender or a lifelong Criminal.

We hired an arsonist ....lovingly called him fire guy. He worked with us for a few months.
Did he end up burning you :laugh:

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
In this case since it seems all the other signs are OK, I'd give him a chance. We've all made mistakes and hopefully learned from them.