Anyone ever hire ex cons?

OP
greenmonster304

greenmonster304

LawnSite Platinum Member
He’s not going to be driving for you, but if you need a laborer, I’d consider it if he’s cleaned his act up. it sucks he killed a person, and he’ll have to live with that the rest of his life, but I’d probably give him a chance.

how
Recent was this incident and why has “not being able to drive” making it hard for him to hold a job, seems like everyone is looking for help
from what I gather I think there are a few thing leading to his unemployment. One being unable to drive in an area where most things require a car, his mother just past away suddenly, his father is a bum, and also spending most of his 20s in jail, the time when you are supposed to learn how to become an adult and learn how to be an employee and functioning adult. I just hate to see him waste his life

oqueoque

LawnSite Fanatic
I thought I remember seeing on here a god while back, that someone actually hired convicts, and found it good, because they needed to keep working as terms of their parole, and the convict needed to constantly check in with their parole officer.

Owner/operator

LawnSite Member
Hire one....? I am on...technically a P.F.O. (PERSISTENT FELONY OFFENDER).....BUT....TIMES CHANGES, people change...according to most people’s approach I should never have been let out..(numerous times)...yet as stated...most people in life were just a moment away from being incarcerated...bars have parking lots, as do most restaurants that serve alcohol.....most people who have accidents thought they were in control...but that’s just me...being a retired/maybe reformed bad guy makes it easy to spot someone who is not gonna change....but...this is America so the current motto is “do what thou whilst”

Richard Alexander

LawnSite Member
Just being the voice of experience: Sympathy hires can cause you internal conflict. Bringing in anyone that you would not normally hire is a "special case" whether you think it is apparent or not. I, you, anyone needs a good employee not a social project. Criminal history aside, why do you want this guy? Be honest now because you will have to be honest later if this person is just a hard luck case. Also, personal referral hires can be great but remember your close friend has a stake in this - good or bad. Good luck.

GRANTSKI

LawnSite Silver Member
Why not give him 2 days as a “try out” before agreeing to hire permanent. Idk about you but I can read ppl very well and figure out if they are decent person pretty quickly. And don’t forget most ppl never get caught for the things they do. Your other workers may have an even uglier past you don’t know about. My arrest record is 15 long youd think I’m a violent alcoholic but couldn’t be further from it. Was just an idiot as a kid and got caught for things most ppl get away with. Murder is a big one but again I think you can tell a lot about someone by spending a day or 2 in the field w them.

Greenie

LawnSite Member
I started a program of picking up a crew of minimum security inmates at a local state prison and using those inmates to work alongside my small paid staff. We ran the program for 17 years. We had every type of inmates except for sex offenders and pedophiles. We had very good luck - a few problems but well worth it. Vehicular manslaughter inmates were the best - not career criminals but "but for the grace of God go I". Even career criminal inmates frequently worked out well bringing energy and unique skills (wood working, welding, lots of painters and roofers, electricians, woods and farm experience). Often times I felt the inmates were more productive and dependable than my paid staff. Occasionally inmates were more normal than some of my paid staff. We kept in touch with some of the inmates after they were released and generally speaking many did well. My faith teaches forgiveness and the opportunity for redemption. I am retired now but the inmate program is my most cherished memory.
True, our inmates lived in prison - temptations were not available. Ex-cons do face those temptations but many can overcome their demons and turn their lives around.
Drug addicts are in my opinion the toughest to deal with. Their very essence is escapism, lying, and the risk of backsliding is always lurking.