1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever hired a biz coach/consultant?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by RedSox4Life, Aug 21, 2017.

1. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I'm at a point with my business that I need to make some decisions about which direction to go in.

I have all the usual issues....I need to be out of the truck more, need to find and retain quality employees, need to develop systems to keep everything running smoothly etc etc

My problem is Im not a businessman, I'm a landscaper. And I don't really have anyone to talk to and bounce ideas off of. In short, I don't know where to go from here.

I'm wondering if anyone's been in my shoes and looked outside for help? Would some sort of consultant or business coach be a help to me? How did they help you? What were the good questions you did -or would- ask?

2. La Chandler

La Chandler LawnSite Member

An excellent and needed question. Especially in the strategy/financial area. Talk to all your friends, contacts, customers, etc. Can anyone put you in contact with a successful businessman or retired businessman who could coach you?

3. grass man 11

grass man 11 LawnSite Member

Professional business groups and consultants are completely worth it. Don't be afraid to spend some money along your way in search of the right person/group. Ultimately you have to decide what you want to do with your business but they can be a huge help.

4. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

Consultants will be most valuable when you have specific goals for them to achieve. If you just "want help", take your money to a club or a bar for the same happy feelings effect and no results.

Break it down, what are some of the specifics you are struggling with? Maybe some of us can help and others gain thru this thread.

snomaha likes this.
  5. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

Follow Dirt Monkey on YouTube. Watch all his vidz and you can learn alot !!

6. Green Insurance Guy

Green Insurance Guy LawnSite Member

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

What part of the country are you in?
    Mass?
    I assume because Red Sox
    But It depends on who's in your neck of the woods and what help you need specifically.

8. serviceautopilot

serviceautopilot Sponsor

9. lawnpropm

lawnpropm LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have a SBA, small business association near you? It could be a tool tonget you going in the right direction.

hort101 and Green Insurance Guy like this.
  10. marcusmac99

marcusmac99 LawnSite Senior Member

Your question is fair and important for many of us. I tried the SBA and the people there are very enthusiastic to help. Finding a counselor/consultant will be of great help.

However, it needs to be someone with experience in this particular service industry. Plus, it would help a lot if you found a resource in your area of the country. What would work in Mass would likely not work as effectively here in FLA. The input above gave you some names and contact info. Try them and look locally too.