Anyone ever use or heard of Mustang brand skid steers?

nickslawnltd

LawnSite Member
Dont know much about them, but do know they are made by Gehl same machine pretty much

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
They are made by Gehl. From 1997 to current Gehl makes a superior rubber tire machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
M

MJK

LawnSite Senior Member
Should be easy to find parts then I'd assume.

I never used a Gehl before, only bobcat. It will be interesting to try.

jbell36

LawnSite Bronze Member
definitely heard of them...a friend of mine has one, hasn't had any major problems

that looks like a nice one...it's a two speed too..

Mowingman

LawnSite Fanatic
They used to build the skidsteers for J.D., way back 20 years ago or so. As mentioned, they are owned by Gehl now. Not fancy machines, but pretty sturdy at a reasonable price. Resale value is usually pretty low compared to better known machines like Bobcat, Deere.

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
New holland built deeres skid steers.

Awe, the old resale value comment! Spend $10k more on a new machine to make $3k more at resale! I to this day have never bought into that. Keep a machine nice, don't tear it up, you'll do well. I run stuff into the ground. And I replace parts. $40k for a new machine or $7k for a new engine? A no brainer.

Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun

LawnSite Fanatic
i have a 2004 Mustang 2044, great little machine, simple to operate and repair. i would join heavyequipmentforums.com and do a search on the 2109. ive read quite a few horror stories about the 2109. do afew searches online first.

OP
M

MJK

LawnSite Senior Member
i have a 2004 Mustang 2044, great little machine, simple to operate and repair. i would join heavyequipmentforums.com and do a search on the 2109. ive read quite a few horror stories about the 2109. do afew searches online first.
I just got done looking around, it seems that the mustang 2109 and Gehl 7810are pretty much the same machine with similar reliability issues. Sounds like there is always something small breaking on them.

Buying is scary. Even if I went and looked at the machine the dealer will say its great and it will start up, I don't even really know what to look for as to signs the machine may have problems.

Also, I'm a little confused on Operating Load Rating & Tipping load. If a machine has a 2800 lb operating load rating I would assume that means it can pick that weight up no problem at all, but say if i'm going to pick up a 3300 lb pallet of block, it will be tippsy but as long as it doesnt' pass the tipping load weight it will pick it and move it?