1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever use Southern Gold grass seed.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by dKoester, Aug 12, 2006.

1. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

How did it turn out?

2. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

One of our customers once re-did the front yard, got 30 cy of topsoil and used the Southern Gold seeds. We just cut /fert / aerate, she is re-seeding with Southern Gold every fall. Grass looks good, didn't need to water at all this summer.

John

3. dKoester

Thanks a whole lot for the help John. Your state is producing some great strands of Fescue like Tarheel 2. I just haven't used Gold yet and wanted some actual user info. Thanks again.

4. envirolandscape

envirolandscape LawnSite Member

I have used Southern Gold in my own yard and had great success with it. I wish I could find it available commercially. Great mildew resistance and wonderful germination rate. Good stuff but expensive.

5. ricsin1

ricsin1 LawnSite Member

SOUTHERN GOLD.... I went to one of the do it yourselfer major store in atlanta to find some.... I heard EXCELLENT THINGS about this brand............ i was set to buy either this Southern Gold or Lesco Transition Blend...

for some reason all the Southern Gold was locked up - like it was BANNED - andn they had these blue labels on them with a sign across them that said DO NOT SELL?? i was wondering what the heck was going on ... is this stuff super grass or something... of course the little 20 yr old working in that section didnt know a thing about why they couldnt sell this..........?

6. dKoester

And Now 3 years later I know this is awesome fescue.

7. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes it absolutely is.

8. ED'S LAWNCARE

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I had great results with it. Holds up to the heat well

9. cpa4t9r

cpa4t9r LawnSite Member

enviro - try looking for Confederate seed - made by same people TurfSeed Inc. (bought by Scotts couple of years back). Same blend last time I checked a few years back. Good stuff. Lesco Transition is good too but I like the Confederate/Southern Gold better.