1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone flatbed truck owners?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 2k1yzfr1, Jul 25, 2007.

1. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the process of finding a better way of doing shrub/bed work and light landscaping (mulch). I currently have a 03 2500 shortbed dodge that is hooked to a 20' enclosed trailer with everything I need in it. Whenever we do mulch or trim shrubs we use my brothers F-250 shortbed with a 16' 2' sided open trailer. I have been looking at a F-450 or 550 with a 10'-12' flatbed and putting some type of 2'-3' removable sides on it. Does anyone have any pictures of something similar to this set up? What is the biggest bed I could put on a 1 ton long bed truck? :confused:

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends on how much weight you want to haul. A F-450 is good for 6000lbs a F-550 is good for 7500lbs a F-350 is good for 4000lbs.

A regular dually P/U truck with the bed removed can only use a 9' flatdeck that is 8 feet wide. Also if you use a P/U truck and take the box off you need to have a custom made deck built because the frame rails are not straight and they are wider apart.

3. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

I really don't plan on having that much weight in the truck. Most of our trips to the dump averages 2500-4000 lbs at the max. I am just needing more space in the bed for lawn debris and shrub clippings than this 6' bed is offering.

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I don't have any pictures of the old company truck I used to drive. It had a 11 foot flat bed. It had 2x12's for the sides. Under the bed were couple of tool boxes for straps etc.

It was a 1991 F350 with 7.3 Diesel.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I would go with a 1 ton truck if your only hauling that kind of weight. It will be cheaper to insure and cheaper to operate. The F-450 sized trucks can get expensive and depending on your regulations you may need a motor carrier plate because of the gvw.

If you go with a aluminum bed on a F-350 sized truck you will have enough payload or go with a steel bed and stay way with adding toolboxes and heavy additions to the bed.