·
Banned
920 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
leadarows/kppurn,

Just wondering what licenses, if any, you are carrying. I am just getting started and I have been told by a person from the state of Indiana that I would not need a license to cut grass commercially. I know I have to have a license to do fertilizer but that is all. Any info would be great. I have just bought my trailer, mower and insurance and I am attempting to get a few lawns and hopefully be able to do some leaf removal this fall.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I carry a category 3b Commercial Pesticide Applicator License as well as a 3b Comm. Pest. Business License.
I have my name registered (DBA) in the county I work in as a sole proprietor. I believe you should register your name in all counties you work in, if you operate in multiple counties. Right now I'm only concentrating on one so that's not an issue yet. Insurance is a must, but you already have that so you are good to go on that end.
You should be able to pick up some lawns before the season is over, which will give you a jump start for next season. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to try and get the Licensed this winter so I can do fertilizer next spring. There is a lot to think about when trying to get started. I want to make sure that I get all my ducks in a row. I just plan to do this part time, I have a great job but I work nights so I want to try and generate some extra income during the day. It all makes me :dizzy:

·
Registered
101 Posts
hey indiana,

W central here.

You don't need an applicator license to fertilize, but you do need a license to apply herbicides and/or pesticides.

Welcome to the Site.

Lead..........iv'e been meaning to get in touch with you for some time about the fellow I was gonna hook you up with (about pavers, block, stone). I meant to get it to you but it seemed as if the thread had died, I didn't feel like it was quite proper just to post his number here, so I didn't, .............would still like to pass that on to you though. Sorry.

·
Banned
920 Posts
Darwin Thanks for remembering you can PM me or email me at [email protected]

kppurn
"I believe you should register your name in all counties you work in"
I registered with the state. Registering with each county is news to me. Hey I don't know every thing if I missed this I need to know more about it myself. I had an accountants help with all my paper work when I got started and I think I have every thing but heck with all there is to do well could you explain a little more what county office did you register with?
Like an idiot I let my pesticide and herbicide permit expire a few years ago when I was managing a bar. We started using round-up beans and corn on the farm and have the locale elevator spray that for us and so I just let it go. Now I am expanding my business and doing lawn care so I have to go and get them again. :( Oh well it is a different category any way as I under stand it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Originally posted by indianamower
I am going to register this week with the County Recorder. Is that what you ment by registering? Thanks for the help. :dizzy:
Yes, that's what I did. I went to the County Recorder and filled out the DBA (Doing Business As) paperwork. It cost me $10.50.

Leadarrows:

If you had an accountant help you out then more than likely there is something I didn't do correctly. I don't know. When I first started I called the State Office and they told me to contact the county I work in. They (state office) told me I didn't need to do anything with them. :confused: Now, the same year I started my own business, the guy I previously worked for went to the State and registered his name. He told me I should do that so someone else couldn't take my name. I called the State again and was told the same thing as before. :dizzy: I then got busy and haven't thought about it until now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Indiana-
Hello To You All. I Am Located Just South Of South Bend(lakeville) When I First Decided To Go Into Business For Myself, I Went To A Local Attorney And Believe Me It Was Money Well Spent. He Helped Get All The Necessary Paperwork And Documents Taken Care Of.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey guys, Northern IN. Goshen, south east of South Bend. This will be my second year. I finished last season with 27 weekly, I'm teach shop full time, bell rings and I go running to the truck. Glad to see so many guys from our area on this site.
bt

·
Registered
36 Posts
BullDog, I know what you mean. I substitute teach and usually pull out a little bit before the semester ends. here in Indy that's would be around the end of May. I'm stirring up my contacts and clients from last year and working on flyers. I plan to up sell them on mulch and pre-season clean up.

Keep Posting Indiana

·
Registered
325 Posts
I am in Indy as well.I am looking to get in contact with someone from Indianapolis or Greenwood area that does Hydroseeding. I got a builder that I landscape for and he loves it but the last guy I used really sucked.So hit me up if anyone has the equipment would love to crunch the numbers.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.