Anyone from Knoxville or surrounding areas?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Danp1985, Nov 25, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    Danp1985

Danp1985 LawnSite Member

Ya that's kind of what I was hoping to do maybe buy some accounts to have some income to start and build from there. I plan on selling my accounts and possibly equipment here when I'm ready if I can and use the money to get going there. I just hope i can sell my accounts here.

2. OP
    OP
    Danp1985

Danp1985 LawnSite Member

I wish I could find someone trust worthy to run the business here in Michigan then I could start a new branch in Tennessee. Anyone ever have luck doing something like that?

3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Good luck with that.

No sarcasm intended!!

Walker56, hort101 and Danp1985 like this.
  4. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

What type of equipment are you running at present? Solo or crews?

Walker56 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Danp1985

Danp1985 LawnSite Member

Currently I have a 48in turf tracer with sulky and I cut around 75 per week by myself.

6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Lots of Exmarks here although Ferris/Snapper Pro is making inroads.

48's may be most popular but more and more guys are running 52's.

I have a 48" and a 60" Turf Tracer. Cut 85-90% of my lawns with the 60. If you can do 75 with a 48 you can likely cut 90 with a 60.

Several good Exmark dealers in the area.

Walker56 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Danp1985

Danp1985 LawnSite Member

How long is your cutting season there? I usually go from may 1st to October 31st for weekly cuts and then clean ups go till the snow sticks.

8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Started cutting the last week of February this past year although that is not the norm. Usually, on fertilized lawns somewhere between March 7-15 is the beginning of the season, unfertilized ones might take until April. Cutting season ends October 31-November 15 but leaves have begun to fall as early as Labor Day and are falling still. In normal years I am fortunate to have everything done by Christmas.

Once established, you will find things to do almost year around although January and February are mostly heavy winter pruning and mulch installs.

Also, we lose lots of days to rain and some snow/cold weather in January February.

In a normal year Valentine's Day is the beginning of the spring season.

Walker56 likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Danp1985

Danp1985 LawnSite Member

That's good to hear. We are lucky to get 27 weeks of cuts here.

10. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Many of us still service properties weekly/10 days/bi-weekly during leaf season at a slightly higher price point than weekly cutting. Depends on conditions of course.

35 cuts here if no skips. Other than irrigated properties there are always some skips so figure 30-32 trips plus cleanups.

Walker56, hort101 and Doc8406 like this.