Anyone going to be doing hurricane clean up?

Deerfarmer

LawnSite Member
I got a little bit of time to spare so wondered about heading to Florida or wherever the hurricane hits to make some money? Is it pretty tough to get on with someone? All I really have is a skid with grapple and saws. Maybe not worth the hassle and drive?

Junior M

LawnSite Fanatic
I’ve done push work on a fema contract in the past. You need everything lined up before you head down. Unless you plan on working for homeowners which is a shot in the dark.

Personally, I’m not traveling for it anymore. I was much smaller when I went to the first few storms. I don’t make any more money out there than I do at home. And it’s a lot more investment and aggravation than its worth.

Now, if the storm comes to SC.. if me and my guys can commute to and from the work then I’ll go. Paying a couple hours ride time will be cheaper than hotels, meals, etc. Plus it’s gonna be raining/wet/muddy so what else would we do?

But if it’s to far to commute then I’ll stay home and we’ll work around the shop.

OP
D

Deerfarmer

LawnSite Member
I’ve done push work on a fema contract in the past. You need everything lined up before you head down. Unless you plan on working for homeowners which is a shot in the dark.

Personally, I’m not traveling for it anymore. I was much smaller when I went to the first few storms. I don’t make any more money out there than I do at home. And it’s a lot more investment and aggravation than its worth.

Now, if the storm comes to SC.. if me and my guys can commute to and from the work then I’ll go. Paying a couple hours ride time will be cheaper than hotels, meals, etc. Plus it’s gonna be raining/wet/muddy so what else would we do?

But if it’s to far to commute then I’ll stay home and we’ll work around the shop.
I signed up on the SAM website but not fema yet. Read it may take 30 days to get things through. No big deal at least I will be in the system then. I just wasn’t sure if it would be worth it to get me and another guy to go there or not. It’s a 2000 mile drive and though I’d bring my camper and gooseneck with skid. Idk maybe dumb idea? Just thought I might be able to make more money during a bad event

Junior M

LawnSite Fanatic
I’d never drive that far. Atleast for the work I’ve done for fema.

It’s called push work. The average contract calls for:
3-4 guys (supervisor, operator, 2 sawmen)
Skidsteer & grapple
2 chainsaws
2 trucks

I’ve always gotten away with 1 truck and 3 guys per crew. I’m not wasting the gas on 2 trucks. It can be hard to come by sometimes.

Push work typically starts as soon as winds die down below 40-50mph. Just get out and get major roads open. The DOT or the contract holder will have somebody sending you where you need to go. From there you’ll work 12-14hr days just opening roads where ever they send you. Some storms they give you a map page and you clear all the roads on those pages. Other storms you get just a road to clear. Dont get in a big hurry. It can be dangerous.

You’ll get so much for mobilization and being on stand by if you get there ahead of the storm. Show up when the storm passes and you only get the hourly pay. They’ll pile the crews in to get the work done. They want all push work done in 72hrs so they can really evaluate the damage before they get the grapple/bucket trucks in.

We’ve done 96hrs once but it was a bad storm in an old coastal area of South Carolina. I’d say you can plan on 1-2 days worth of work in an area before you’re moving on and following the storm.

If you were within 500miles I’d say go. But not 2000. Things are way different than when Katrina come through. They have much better control on who does what.

OP
D

Deerfarmer

LawnSite Member
I’d never drive that far. Atleast for the work I’ve done for fema.

It’s called push work. The average contract calls for:
3-4 guys (supervisor, operator, 2 sawmen)
Skidsteer & grapple
2 chainsaws
2 trucks

I’ve always gotten away with 1 truck and 3 guys per crew. I’m not wasting the gas on 2 trucks. It can be hard to come by sometimes.

Push work typically starts as soon as winds die down below 40-50mph. Just get out and get major roads open. The DOT or the contract holder will have somebody sending you where you need to go. From there you’ll work 12-14hr days just opening roads where ever they send you. Some storms they give you a map page and you clear all the roads on those pages. Other storms you get just a road to clear. Dont get in a big hurry. It can be dangerous.

You’ll get so much for mobilization and being on stand by if you get there ahead of the storm. Show up when the storm passes and you only get the hourly pay. They’ll pile the crews in to get the work done. They want all push work done in 72hrs so they can really evaluate the damage before they get the grapple/bucket trucks in.

We’ve done 96hrs once but it was a bad storm in an old coastal area of South Carolina. I’d say you can plan on 1-2 days worth of work in an area before you’re moving on and following the storm.

If you were within 500miles I’d say go. But not 2000. Things are way different than when Katrina come through. They have much better control on who does what.
Ic well I really just wanted some input from ppl that have worked this kind of thing so I appreciate your feedback

OP
D

Deerfarmer

LawnSite Member
Does anyone else have any input on this? I really doubt any of my paper work would be ready for this storm and I don’t really feel like driving that far but I would I guess as long as I can make money and help ppl out at the same time. Basically if I had my papers ready I would be set for anything that comes up closer, tornados exc..

Keith4216

LawnSite Member
I don't travel. I live and work on the coast. Plan on mowing 2 days worth tomorrow and putting the mowers away. Tuesday will be starting Storm mode. Boarding Windows and helping clients prepare. Got fuel and prepared generator and saws today. Hopefully it will all be for nothing but I'm prepared.

OP
D

Deerfarmer

LawnSite Member
I don't travel. I live and work on the coast. Plan on mowing 2 days worth tomorrow and putting the mowers away. Tuesday will be starting Storm mode. Boarding Windows and helping clients prepare. Got fuel and prepared generator and saws today. Hopefully it will all be for nothing but I'm prepared.
Good luck. Hope everything turns out for you. I couldn’t imagine going through that. Lots of ppl lost everything in videos I’ve seen already. Devastating. I’ll take the -40 degree winters up here in North Dakota any day over that crap

Keith4216

LawnSite Member
Good luck. Hope everything turns out for you. I couldn’t imagine going through that. Lots of ppl lost everything in videos I’ve seen already. Devastating. I’ll take the -40 degree winters up here in North Dakota any day over that crap
Still looking like a lot of rain and moderate winds. If too bad I'll get out but at last minute. An average of $600 x 10 houses a day makes you hang in there a bit longer.

Marshall's Yard Service

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm going to look up the FEMA thing and see how that is to do that. I've always wanted to go down and work clean up after a hurricane.