1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone had people asking for jobs at work sites?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigpappaab, Jun 18, 2011.

1. bigpappaab

bigpappaab LawnSite Member

Seems like every other day or so I have hispanics coming up to me and asking if I am hiring. They say they have seen me around, and want to know if I have any work they can do. I was just wondering if any of you all out there have encountered the same thing. Some of the hispanics asking for work can barely speak english, but the other day a younger sharp looking kid approached me, and he spoke perfect english. If I was about to go beyond solo, I might have been tempted to hire him.

2. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

When I am working on commercial properties I get quite a few of them. Most ask if I am the owner and I just say no, so they walk away.

I also have quite a few approach the truck when I am plowing to ask if I need anyone to shovel sidewalks.

3. GreenGuysLC

GreenGuysLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have had a few but I have More call me .. seems like my phone book listing is better than posting in the help wanted ads!

4. orlawncaresvc

orlawncaresvc LawnSite Senior Member

We get that all the time. Especially when we go to our local home depot.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

6. Oakleaf landscape

Oakleaf landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Usually get 2-3 per day. And the people that come up and ask usually just want to steal your equipment...

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I had a guy in an older Cadillac pull up next to me at a traffic light the other day. As I'm sitting there I hear someone say "Hey buddy". I look around and it's the guy in the Caddy. He wants to know if I'm hiring.

Yeah, it's getting rough out there.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

9. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yup. And it been getting worse ever since.