Lawn Care Forum banner

Anyone have a sign on the rear of their open trailer?

20K views 87 replies 26 participants last post by  Glenn Lawn Care 
#1 ·
Just wondering if you do, how it has worked out for you? Pros? Cons? How large of a sign did you get? Do you recall the cost of making it?

I don't see it a whole lot, but was wondering if anybody has any experience with them?

How does it hold up with it being open and closed all day?

If you do have one, feel free to post it on here.

Thanks guys!

#2 ·
I have had one for several years now. The size is about the entire width and length of my gate. It is a metal sign that I used self tapping screws to tap into the trailer. In regards to how it has held up, I would say pretty good overall.
Downfalls - it of course causes another point of resistance so expect your fuel mileage to go down.
As far as cost. I think it was roughly $125

#3 ·
I have had one for several years now. The size is about the entire width and length of my gate. It is a metal sign that I used self tapping screws to tap into the trailer. In regards to how it has held up, I would say pretty good overall.
Downfalls - it of course causes another point of resistance so expect your fuel mileage to go down.
As far as cost. I think it was roughly $125
Does it make it harder to see at all? I'm just envisioning when I look in the mirror while in traffic I can clearly see between the gate now, does having the full sign make it significantly harder to see?

Also, what all did you include on the sign? I was thinking Name of company, phone number, slogan, FULLY INSURED, maybe website, maybe Residential & Commerical... I don't want it to get too cluttered though.

Would you mind posting a pic of how yours is set up?

#4 ·
Mine is simple. Made of pine board, well primed & painted (black w/ white letters), LAWNCARE & phone # in vinyl letters, 1 yr old and doing well; held on to expanded metal gate (6' x 6') with screws.

Got at least one job from it last year when I got a call in traffic going from one job to the next. Cost < $20.

Same kind of signs on both sides of trailer with a little more information about jobs offered (tree & bush-hog services). Live & work in mostly rural areas though. Have gotten multiple jobs from signs and I'm doing one (leaf & gutter clean-up) today!

Big, fancy signs are great, I guess, if you can afford them and want to go that way, but for me this works!! Simple, clean and straight forward! Good luck with finding what works for you!

#5 ·
I had one composed last year it works great. I used rust free fasteners and positioned it in the center of the gate. I try to leave the gate up when working to take advantage of the advertizing aspect. The sign has been responsible for serveral long term jobs and a few one-timers. I had it designed to resemble my business cards. The price was $131.00 with the layout and design.

#7 ·
I put a regular yard sign on my trailer. Payed like $13 for it. I got one call the first week i had it on and maybe more but don't know. I think it looks more professional. Also you don't have people asking you stupid questions and wasting your time. They can just get the number and call me. Just my 2 cents

#9 ·
I have a 3' by 4' sign on the back of the gate, cost was about $130 and was the best $130 I ever spent on advertising. I got one customer who saw it which resulted in a $65 weekly plus I also did a $3800 tree job for them. Also the gate is up if parked on the street for additional exposure and to "help" the oncoming cars see my rig better to hopefully avoid an accident. I just cringe with the thought of a car/truck driving up the ramp through my equipment into my truck lol
The sign is very basic, just name and phone #. Whenever I get a call I always ask how they heard of me so I can see whats working.
Dwayne

#11 ·
I made the sign about 3' high and the width of my trailer so I could see over it and the resistance wouldnt be much more than the equipment and the tray up front. I drilled holes every inch on a piece of angle iron and then cut out six pieces and welded them to the ramp for brackets. I made the backing myself for ridgidity so the total price was $300. I could get the same thing on aluminum for less than $200. I put the ramp up when working so it is a billboard when people drive by. I kept it simple, cause everyone assumes I do lawn stuff and I don't feel a need for an infinite list. I made it EYE catching and the Phone # readable from over 2 blocks away.

Flower Petal Event Advertising Annual plant

#14 ·
All my signs are homemade, Total three signs on each side of trailer and tailgate. I haul away lots of plywood & spray paint. I buy those ( size 4" & 6") card board letters, line em up into a long square board pattern, tape em together, lay em on a precut board & spray paint them. Not actually professional like a pro shop would do them but it works for me!

#15 ·
I will take some pix of mine in the morning. But, I had mine made at Fast Signs, don't know if you have one or not.
I think it was about 52" wide by 40" high logo, phone #, tag line, and website. They put that on a thick alum sheet. On my trailer gate, I have the one where the vertical rails are made out of angle iron so I install 2x4's on gate first next to vertical rails then I bought a piece of treated plywood, screwed that to the 2x4's, counter sunk the screws some, then screwed the alum sign to the plywood. I had to do it that way because I did not want the wind to catch the alum. It was a job coming up with getting it to work but then again, I always go way overboard with things I build. I will get you some pix.

#16 ·
I will take some pix of mine in the morning. But, I had mine made at Fast Signs, don't know if you have one or not.
I think it was about 52" wide by 40" high logo, phone #, tag line, and website. They put that on a thick alum sheet. On my trailer gate, I have the one where the vertical rails are made out of angle iron so I install 2x4's on gate first next to vertical rails then I bought a piece of treated plywood, screwed that to the 2x4's, counter sunk the screws some, then screwed the alum sign to the plywood. I had to do it that way because I did not want the wind to catch the alum. It was a job coming up with getting it to work but then again, I always go way overboard with things I build. I will get you some pix.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you to have one made at Fast Signs?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.