1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Anyone have any good recommendations for keeping the books?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justmjc, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. justmjc

    justmjc LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 261

    I'd like to learn what's involved with hiring employees. So, where should I start? I don't know what forms they need, how to do payroll, or when and where to pay my taxes. Anyone know of a book or a software that explains this? Or is it best to just get with a cpa?

    What do you guys get charged for your cpa's? I just heard about a guy that got nailed for a $200,000 irs bill because he was an idiot. I'm actually fearful about doing the books wrong with employees I'd like to hire in the future.
  2. bastalker

    bastalker LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 965

    I would recommend getting yourself an accountant. Explain the same thing you just explained here to him. Tell him you would like for him to do your buisness taxes at the end of the year, an what would be the best way to keep the books in order for you to do it.

    Shop around, ask what they charge per hour etc..A good accountant will steer you in the right direction if he knows you want him handling your payroll...

    Kind of like shopping for a new mower....You want the best mower for the best price, with the service to go with it....

    There are plenty of sofware packages out there....I prefer Grounds Keeper Pro, cause I am pretty much computer illiterate. It has it all on there though, including payroll....
  3. Let it Grow

    Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 476

    Call the irs and tell them you are going to be hiring employees and you want all the forms you will need for this. Then go buy yourself quickbooks, and that should be everythinr you need to get started.
  4. Shuter

    Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,171

    Call a good tax lawyer. He can act for on business and money matters.
  5. lawnman_scott

    lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 7,547

    yes, its a very simple thing to do yourself, just look up, or add to get what to take out. match thw ss and med and send it in 4 times a year. then take the $2-400 it will cost you and buy a new blower.

Share This Page