1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone Have Deer (sheep) Flies And Greenheads

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by skeet, Jun 17, 2008.

1. skeet

skeet LawnSite Member

We're now in the middle of fly season that last about 1 month. Flies swarm by the tens and seem to bite before they land. Slap and kill them 2-3 at a time. The closer to bodies of water the worse the are.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah but wow they're not as bad here, one or two and sometimes a small swarm of 3 or 4 but that's about it...
    And you're right, funny how they come around only in June but what a nasty bite they got. :cry:

The worst part is they look and feel almost like a regular house fly,
    until I got bit a few times I didn't even pay them no mind.

3. Z-Man

Z-Man LawnSite Member

I have them bad, and they bite! Try wrapping a white towel around your neck, it helps a lot but not completely. Also, wear a hat to keep them off your head. ;)

4. skeet

skeet LawnSite Member

Best thing I found to use is a (Bounce) clothes dryer sheet and place it under your hat and let it hang down the back of your neck. Forget the skin-so-soft

5. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Damm I hate them things...The deer flies are worse around here. The horse flies u can almost use a 12 ga. there so big....*trucewhiteflag*...Did I mention I hate them things???????........:usflag:

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

greenheads hurt bigtime and love human beings near the water

7. skeet

skeet LawnSite Member

Electronic handheld bug zappers (fly swatters) puts a hurt on them.

8. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I have one account that has horse flies all over the dang place! I think i need to start charging more to mow, them lil bastards hurt when they bite!:angry: