• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Anyone having luck hiring when $600 wk freebee

kemco

LawnSite Platinum Member
Our state is still bumping UEB by a $300 wk bonus now that the fed stimulus is out and pelosi too busy getting her hair done. I've run ads. Done indeed (what a wasted $ right now), facebook, multiple people saying their trying to bird dog for me and nothing. Got 2 laborer positions open and one spray tech, salary plus commission. Not even getting tire kickers. When you are getting about a grand a week in UEB it's tough to compete. I see signs all over the place here help wanted, dang near every business that is open is begging for help. But alas, no takers.

JLSLLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Tried to hire, not a single person showed up For interview,Wasn’t paying a low rate, and was a higher hourly than most companies.

Later in the season, I gave up on hiring, then word of possibly losing benefits was mentioned, people started going out of their way to contact me..I didnt hire.

OP
kemco

kemco

LawnSite Platinum Member
Well I did have one guy show interest right when the covid flare up. He no showed me 2 days. Then third day was a good possibility of rain later in the afternoon and he said no he wasn't going to get out for a few hours of work and that "he saw where this was going"... Heck I didn't even know where it was going except for working. He's tried to get in touch with me twice since the $600 bene lapsed. But by now he should know where THIS is going. LOL. Yes I need workers but not him.

JFGLN

LawnSite Platinum Member
Have you ever consider hiring someone that is on work release? We have a few times. One of these guys was the best worker I have ever employed. They wouldn’t be a long term solution but can be helpful for temp labor. Super reliable, eager to work and drug and alcohol free. Perfect employees until they get released. :laugh:

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
When they get released they don’t want to work? Or they go back to their old ways once the law man is off their back?

OP
kemco

kemco

LawnSite Platinum Member
I've tried the temp labor pool... Guys always needed off by 2pm so they could go get their check that day. I mean always. I've hired supposedly clean drug rehab guy (he's dead now from heroin overdose), an ex alcoholic (there was no ex about it he was high functioning because of the cocaine). Of course I find all of this out after hiring. College guys used to be my main pool. Can't get any and have not been able to for years now. And I know why. I'm dang near out of ideas... Which is why I'm asking.

grass4gas

LawnSite Bronze Member
I feel for you guys. Been solo for 15 years and have not looked back.

When I did have employees-5 at one time, it was tough back then to find quality help.

OP
kemco

kemco

LawnSite Platinum Member
If it were not for employees I'd would pretty much be out of business. Tore my right (dominant) shoulder AC ligament. Called a tear and separation because your bone kinda lifts up once the spring is torn. Been going on for multiple months. Putting on even a backpack with 2 gallons in it was killing me. Last week got a nerve block done. Still hurts like hXll but I can function. The thought of solo is appealing except for the injuries. I've also had blown disk and back surgery, carpal tunnel, ankylosing spondylitis, arthritis in dang near every joint. Yadda yadda.