1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone here use FlexFuel E85?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ATL Lawn, May 2, 2007.

1. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

i just found out today my 02 Chevy S-10 could run on it. lol (im slow).

there's no stations here, but i herd in most places where it is available its around 30% less in cost , then reg gas.

2. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have not used it in my truck (06 F-150 5.4 V8) because there are no stations in convenient locations to where I am at. I have heard it does not burn as well as petroleum based fuel and you will not get the mileage as you normally would.
    But...
    I do run a 10% ethanol blend in my truck and it does get pretty good mileage. I had been burning fuel from Kroger's because you could save $0.10 a gallon depending onhow much groceries you buy there, but my mileage was sucking ass. I started burning the 10% ethanol from Casey's and I am getting on averae 2-3.5 mpg better than the Kroger fuel. I don't know if casey's is all that plus but I think Krogers just gets the cheapest stuff they can find not caring what's in it and selling it as cheaper fuel.

3. Patatoe1

Patatoe1 LawnSite Member

I have run E85 in my 07 F150 FFV. For the price that it is around here (roughly $2.70) it is not worth it. The mileage loss that I experienced made it less profitable to use.

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

big oil is keeping it off the market so they can keep giving us the shaft

5. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

It is not that much cheaper here and if you lose MPG's the cost savings is likely insignificant.

Regular unleaded - $3.25
    E85 - $2.99

IMO There are other reason to burn E85 other than purely financial.

6. Patatoe1

Patatoe1 LawnSite Member

But even if you are paying roughly 10% less per gallon with those prices, you are still losing up to 30% fuel efficiency. So even though it is costing less per tank, you are filling up more frequently.