Lawn Care Forum banner

anyone in baltimore area cutting anything?

3K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  jeffex 
#1 ·
I just took a trip from Eldersburg Md to Winber Pa to help my son buy a 2001 SS camaro [4,800 original miles]and all we saw on that 155 mile trip up was brown grass until we crossed over the mountains . Lush green on the other side . I probably wouldn't have had time to make the trip if I was still cutting so now that he has his dream car it can go ahead and RAIN !!!!! I only have 2 crabgrass lawns still growing and the rest are dormant. Liberty resivoir is going down fast as we have been fishing in the evenings with no lawns to cut. What is every one else doing!!!

#2 ·
Here in State College, Pa. the lawns are totally dormant. This week, I cut (9), and the week before that (4). I have numerous lawns that will be 3+ weeks this month.

Personally, in my 6 years in this business, I have never witnessed conditions turning this fast. We cut everything every week until the first week of August. Then 100+ temperatures for a week, and no rain for 2-3 weeks == drought stress of the worst kind......

#4 ·
Got bad here for a week or two and now we are right back in the game with a lot of rain yesterday... was great until august .. and now its up and down.. But i sure hope you guys who have not mowed in weeks get some rain... I think we all know what its like to be wondering if we will make money or not...

#5 ·
I thought 2003 was bad when the resivoir went down 35ft. . Where are the huricanes when you need them. Even with being diversified and power washing too we have caught up on all work . Usually calls pick up after vacation season ends in a week or two.

#7 ·
wrtenterprises said:
Here in State College, Pa. the lawns are totally dormant. This week, I cut (9), and the week before that (4). I have numerous lawns that will be 3+ weeks this month.

Personally, in my 6 years in this business, I have never witnessed conditions turning this fast. We cut everything every week until the first week of August. Then 100+ temperatures for a week, and no rain for 2-3 weeks == drought stress of the worst kind......
What he ^^^ said! I have missed a few but have managed to cut most...barely! Even the irrigated ones are crunchy. Had some rain last night, hope it pops it up some. I have some havent been cut for.....this week will the 3rd week.

#8 ·
going on vacation next sat. so look out . thats when the hurricane will come. I'll just sit in the bar with my wife and watch it rain. I'm not sure if people don't water because they don't want to pay me for a few cuts or that they have turned their lawn care over to me and don't even think of doing ANYTHING outside any more. Its not the price of water in balto county Md. thats for sure. Some of the cheapest water bills in the country!

#9 ·
I skipped alot last week and the ones i cut i know will not be growing this week. I am just gonna take the next few days off and get my kids school shopping done. We got a little rain last night, but no where near enough. I also have lawns in laurel, Md. They seem to have been hit the worst, i have not cut them in a month.

Hey Aaron, I think I've seen you around before, do you do work in severn? Up by goldenpine circle?

#16 ·
If you can't water a lawn consistently and thoroughly, you should just let it go dormant in dry conditions. It usually recovers in the fall. I have a well, and haven't watered my lawn in 13 years. We had our well deepened and a new well pump put in two years ago, and it is $$$$$. Trust me.

#17 ·
StBalor said:
I skipped alot last week and the ones i cut i know will not be growing this week. I am just gonna take the next few days off and get my kids school shopping done. We got a little rain last night, but no where near enough. I also have lawns in laurel, Md. They seem to have been hit the worst, i have not cut them in a month.

Hey Aaron, I think I've seen you around before, do you do work in severn? Up by goldenpine circle?
Yeah thats part of my area. Have I seen you around? What's your company name?

#18 ·
I live in carroll county and our water ain't cheap. However, I fell a sleep one night last month and the sprinkler ran for 8 hrs. and my bill was only $40 more than usual. I didn't have to water again for a month even during that spell of 100 degree temps. I just like my lawn to look good when I get home and as long as there are no restrictions I'll pay the water bill. I just can't see why people let hundreds of dollars in landscape plants and trees dry up and die because they are too lazy to water them.

#20 ·
How many start ups in the baltimore area will drop off after a month of no money. when it does rain there will be easy pickingsfor the guy who weathered this drought to pick up new clients. Prepare your advertising foraeration and seeding now and let them fly when it rains.

#21 ·
Aaron's Lawn Care said:
Yeah thats part of my area. Have I seen you around? What's your company name?
Maybe, we have never talked. But i recognized your name from the side of your truck.
Company name is: Sun Valley Lawn Service. I use to drive a chevy scottsdale 4x4 black and brown. Drivers side was a bit dented up where a guy hit me at the library 1 day. Now i drive a 1996 white f250 extended cab. Lot nicer than my old truck, and no dents, lol.

I work in severna pk, maryland city, severn, glen burnie, harundale and odenton.

#22 ·
Things are really dry here and we are all over Baltimore County and travel pretty much anywhere theres a large job where the monies justify the travel. We have two large commercial properties, one apartments and the other condo's so there is sufficient maintenance work for us at those properties as well as bi-weekly residentials and any odd installs or drain work that may come in .....in the meantime. Fall will be here soon and we will be back in action......stay positive!!

:clapping:

#23 ·
tropical storm betty and another one just forming will bring much needed rainfall to the northern Va, baltimore, DC ,and southern Pa area in about a week and a half. wishful thinking ??? It is a small strip that is in this drought with rain to the north and south. Again, what do people do with their time when things drop off. I've been at this long enough to know it will turn around and rain and finish the season. This business is just like city farming unless you have contracts.

#24 ·
StBalor said:
Maybe, we have never talked. But i recognized your name from the side of your truck.
Company name is: Sun Valley Lawn Service. I use to drive a chevy scottsdale 4x4 black and brown. Drivers side was a bit dented up where a guy hit me at the library 1 day. Now i drive a 1996 white f250 extended cab. Lot nicer than my old truck, and no dents, lol.

I work in severna pk, maryland city, severn, glen burnie, harundale and odenton.
I'll be on the lookout for you. Give me a shout if you see me around. Did you guys do some work on golden pine or something? I might remember seing you if you did.

#26 ·
Dam !! I should get in the weather forcasting biz. That tropical depression I spoke of last week turned out to be Ernesto. Started raining here fri. morning and its still dumping. I came home from vacation 2 days early but at least the money will flow again!!! glad to be of service!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.