1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone in Florida using small Mowers only?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by lawnsaspire, Jul 12, 2017.

1. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi there. I was delighted to visit your lovely state and take my family to Disney in January. It was also an odd sight to see people mowing in January. Just wondering if any of you guys are using only 21 or 30 jnchers down there to sell your service or make it more appealing to the customer? Seems like I saw a lot of tiny lots down there. I would like to do this up here but too addicted to my turf tracer. Was thinking if I ever moved down there i would focus more on shrubs and trim work and just mow with a 21 on the side.

2. ShowCaseLawnCare

ShowCaseLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

A lot of people use small stand on mowers down here.

3. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Florida

Small standers seem as small as it gets in my area for, what I surmise, is a couple reasons. Most homes around me have some sort of St. Augustine. When we get into our pattern of afternoon rains, it grows like a weed. No way you want to be cutting 6-10 lawns a day of that stuff with a 7-8 HP 21" mower. Then add in the heat and humidity. It can be downright brutal in the summer; no one is going to want to be walking a small push all day when you can conserve energy and ride.

4. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a guy I talked to years ago that only pushed mowed in one neighborhood. He sold his customers on push mowing. He made 50k a year push mowing lawns. He needed a new push mower about every 3 months. He told me it was rough on his knees and body. If he had to do it over he would have not done it and gone with a zero turn. If you want to push mow lawns there is work. If you want to use a zero turn there is also work. So basically the work is there for what ever you want to do. But I will guarantee that the zero turn will make you the money. There is so much grass to cut that it's almost hard to keep up. So many lawns guys are getting burned out . Very hot and the grass is growing like wild fire.

JLSLLC likes this.
  5. lawnsaspire

Thanks For The Input. I Was Just thinking About This Because My sister And Brother In Law Are Thinking of moving down there. I Thought If We Ever joined them I Would Maybe focus on shrubs and ornamental tree trimming and just mow 20 or so small lots. I realize the larger mower is needed for physical relief, but I sometimes dream of not having the potential expense and cost of repairs associated with it. Do many guys down there trim Shrubs only? Do you only work until noon because of the heat?

6. ShowCaseLawnCare

ShowCaseLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't move here to do lawn work if I was you. Find something inside out of the sun. Don't get me wrong plenty of lawn work to do down here but it's a race to the bottom with very cheap prices and competition everywhere. As far as just trimming shrubs a lot of small mowing businesses add that into there monthly mowing agreement. SAy you charge $80 a month year round to just mow they will bump the price to $ 100 a month to include mowing and keeping the shrubs trimmed year round.

7. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Senior Member

Trust me, You don't want to be pushing a mower around for long in FL in the summer.....For one, You have to be able to knock out a lot of yards everyday to make a living mowing here....push mowers are too small/slow and a lot of wasted energy. You also have to be able to handle 95 degree temps and 80% humidity while working your butt off all day (sitting on a mower gives you a chance to cool off without wasting time)....not everybody can do it, it can be dangerous. heat exhaustion and even heat stroke can happen very quickly if your not aware of the symptoms and acclimated to working in this kind of climate.

8. lawnsaspire

Oh I Wouldnt Be Moving Just To Do Lawn Work. But I Do Believe What YOu Are Saying. My Business Here Is Growing Every Year. But I Do Like What I Saw Of Florida And Would Miss lawncare If We Moved. I Have A Hard Time With The 90s Here So I Know What Youre Saying.

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

We run Trimstars 36" and Sarlo 26". Sarlo with the big wheel will outrun you and is very easy on body. Back in the day it's all anybody used besides a reel. It will run circles around the crapmaster 30. We cater to communities with 4000k of turf tops and rack up a lot in the area. The TS is primary, but some pay for the Sarlo or have a 30" gate.