Anyone Installed Barn Plank or Timberstone Pavers Yet?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JimLewis, Mar 7, 2015.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

These are all the rage along the entire west coast. In every one one of the home and garden shows this year in the Portland area, one of these pavers has been used in the majority off the landscape/hardscape displays. I'm reading that it's also the main feature in San Diego, Seattle and all over.

I posted some teaser photos last fall on our Facebook page and got quite a lot of positive interest from our followers. There were lots of likes and lots of comments of people saying how they loved it. Which surprised me, because I'm not a fan. But whatever, seems to be all the rage. I'll install what they want. I don't dislike it. I just would rather install something that looks like stone than something that looks like wood. Nicer, classier look, IMO.

All of our local hardscape suppliers are starting to carry one of these products and it seems to be getting really popular. Just wondering if any of you guys have installed any patios using this or any similar product. If so, can you post some photos of how it turned out?

Below are some photos of the Barn Plank from Silver Creek. In my next reply to this thread, I'll post some photos from the other main brand we have around here.

barn-plank5.jpg

barn-plank8.jpg

barn-plank2.jpg

barn-plank1.jpg

2. OP
    OP
    JimLewis

And here are some photos of the Timberstone pavers, made by RoxBlock.

RoxBlock Timberstone Wood Pavers.jpg

RoxBlock Timberstone Wood Pavers2.jpg

RoxBlock Timberstone Wood Pavers - Brown.jpg

3. E-mans Hardscapes

E-mans Hardscapes LawnSite Member
    from Wi

I have personally installed maybe 20 pallets of the Silver Creek Barn Plank. Where to start!!! The first time we installed it was in a display at our office. It was a hit! It had a nice dark charcoal color. 6 months later....chalky white color. Not efflorescence either. They had a problem with the dye fading. It was a known problem. So when you look at there product in a brochure it looks like it has a nice dark color...now instead of it coming charcoal they took that dye out and now it just always looks white and chalky. There are major height and dimension issues as well. I will post a few pictures I have taken of some of the issues. Notice the chalky color.

Notice how un square this piece is!! [​IMG]

Perfect if you like birdbaths [​IMG]

Noticeable height differences. [​IMG]

I think it's perfect for small areas.
    [​IMG]

All these issues have been brought up to our rep and they say by gapping everything a 1/4" it will take care of itself. I do think it has it's place in a hardscape. But I feel it's better in smaller amounts as an accent piece.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. OP
    OP
    JimLewis

Wow. Thank you for the information! I would have thought they would have worked out all those issues before going to market! Guess I'll avoid that one!

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Looks nice.

First thoughts that went through my mind was fading and how hideous it's gonna look when it fades. Anything in sunlight is going to fade.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. E-mans Hardscapes

E-mans Hardscapes LawnSite Member
    from Wi

This is the color you expect to get looking at all the pictures online. This is our display. The color didn't last through the summer. This is right after installation [​IMG]
    Posted via Mobile Device

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  7. 4D Exteriorscapes

4D Exteriorscapes LawnSite Member

I was going to install it when they discovered the fading issue. Supposedly it was a certain component in the dyes they used and were switching suppliers (that was what I was told). I have not seen it since then.

8. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Techo makes a similar product named borealis. Havent got to install it yet but in any wet cast paver youre going to find big irregularities. They have tolerances way bigger than normal pavers

9. OP
    OP
    JimLewis

Andrew, which product was that you used in your display?

10. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I was talking to a designer at the home show last week, they had Borealis in their booth. He said they were originally going to do a really cool symmetrical herringbone pattern but they had to scrap that idea because the pavers were so far off from one another (>1/4") they couldn't make it work