Anyone Installed Barn Plank or Timberstone Pavers Yet?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JimLewis, Mar 7, 2015.

1. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

I would have to agree with DVS. I still install a few hollandstone projects each year. As common as say brussels? No, but still around. They are cheap, so if someone wants a cheap patio thats what they get.

You are correct in that the market is changing. Larger dimensional and linear stones appear to be the newest trend to hit the market. If you look at a lot of the new catalogs out lots of new larger dimensional lines out there.

The whole marketing pitch with these barn planks is you never need to stain them or have the splintering wood etc. Which is nice, but as you said still some kinks to work out. I am sure they will be here to stay at least for the next few years, but I don't think there are going to be too many large patios installed from them.

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

No Sir.

When the manufacturers cease production of 4x8 pavers - then you'll know the market for 4x8 dried up. But since production of 4x8's are alive and well.......well, you do the math.

Ever been to a little place in FL called 'Daytona Speedway'? They have acres and acres and acres of 4x8's.

I like 4x8's.

3. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Come back with some data on % of total sales and I'll believe you.
    I'm not saying they don't sell a single one. Someones grandma might still want them. But the sales have definitely went down, and will continue to go down.

Congrats on making it to daytona, glad you like 4x8s. But they have lost and will continue to lose market share. Maybe not to extinction, theres probably a sales floor they will hit where people who go to daytona reside.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. DVS Hardscaper

I swear you have 1/2 female in you, worse than a woman :) Argue. Argue. Argue.

Like I have sales data.

4x8's have a nice clean simple appearance. They go well with new homes. are great for small residential jobs. Are great for huge commercial projects.

Production of T1-11 plywood is alive and well too.

The 4x8's are still in production today. There's a reason. Has nothin to do with the grandmas.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  5. etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

Interesting concepts. Not sure how I feel about it. It's different, I will say that. After all the mess we went through this past year with wet cast products from Techo-Bloc I have alot of hesitancies towards anything wetcast.

Anybody have a price they'd be willing to share on what this planking cost per sf? Jim?

After all is said and done you might be better off to go out and buy the real reclaimed barn planking, have it brushed, sealed, and wetset it in a slight mortar bed under a pavillion. Surely it would last as long as a wetcast product.

This whole wetcast thing has had too many issues, especially from Techo Bloc. If that thing ever implodes their done.

6. OP
    OP
    JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

$9.26 per sq. ft. is what we would pay locally for the Barn Plank. $5.09 per sq. ft. for the Timberstone.

7. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

Just curious, what kind of issues were you experiencing with wetcast last year?

I have been seeing pricing on the rcp barn plant run from about $6.47 direct at the plant up to $6.77 from our supplier.

Lots of interesting stuff coming out in pavers from what I have seen. Unilock just released their natural stone line in the chicago market, belgard has a porcelain line out . I will be interested to see how the natural stone does, its priced right about the same as full color natural cleft bluestone, or a dimensional flagstone. Colors are pretty unique, especially the black. Its only 7/8" thick though.

8. OP
    OP
    JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Nice! Does it come with one of those plastic toy Plate Compactors by Tyco too? :laugh:

ToyPlateCompactor.jpg

9. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

good one skippy. Keep dreaming
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. DVS Hardscaper

No dreaming Shirley. Production = demand
    Posted via Mobile Device