Anyone Installed Barn Plank or Timberstone Pavers Yet?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JimLewis, Mar 7, 2015.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

unless they started calling them by another name.....we install 'pavers'. And Wall block too.

Jimbo - whether a person installs 1 pallet per year, or 100,000 SF per 6 months - I don't understand what that has to do with the fact that the demand and use of 4x8 Holland Stone pavers is alive and well to this day?

Truly confident people find no need to be egotistical.

2. OP
    OP
    JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Wow. That's rich, coming from the guy who used to always chastise me in saying that all of our jobs looked alike. :rolleyes:

3. OP
    OP
    JimLewis

It doesn't have anything to do with Holland. I wasn't commenting on Holland at all. I wast just telling RJ that he needs to back off. Cuz you're clearly the hardscape expert and he needs to stop challenging you.

You're right. ... (head held low)... I know. I wish I could be as humble as you are. I try...try so hard! But you're right, I just need to get more confidence. I'm like the Lion and you're like the Wizard of Oz. Could I maybe come to you and get some courage?!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

And the hits just keep coming. Something comes to mind about a certain color pot and kettle?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. jmkr02

jmkr02 LawnSite Senior Member

Do these get tamped in? What is the breakage seen on jobs going in? The more expensive pavers make unusable cut pieces a more expensive pile of waste. There is a value to the customer and manufacture what is the value to the contractor? Its crazy how the paver becomes more than the labor to install them. They do look pretty, but the customer forgoes the extras that can make a better margin.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. OP
    OP
    JimLewis

Maybe where you're at. Around here, even at those prices, ain't nobody installing pavers for that cheap per sq. ft. in labor.

7. DVS Hardscaper

I agree. We're doing a nice job in Potomac MD right now. High end client, former director of a federal agency. Extensive remodeling and addition for the extensive dwelling. Extensive landscaping and hardscaping. Extensive excavating / grading. Easily well over $1 mil for everything, plus the cost they paid for the property.

The landscape architect has speced to cut out 12" of earth behind the dwelling for hardscape asthetics. The home owner is telling me how the money is getting tight and they need to tighten their belt. I said to her "you can have a great backyard without excavating 12" of earth, if you do the excavating - you'll have more money tied up in excavating and hauling than cost of the patio and landscaping".

Same can be said for paver waste. If its a mid-end client, it may blow their budget. If it's a high end client - they may not blink an eye. We've had jobs where we've had to buy full pallets, and we've had to plan for extensive waste. I've done cost comparisons for the client's decision process so they can see how much more money their 1st choice is costing.

I'm seeing lately on this forum that people are writing as if money is no object for all their clients :)

8. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

I guess it depends on how you look at it. From a raw cost stand point your right its too cheap. But from a sale price to the customer its slightly higher. At least for the planks around me. And as you said, depends on the area. Unfortunately there are guys in this area who are still doing paver for $5-6 per square in labor.

9. OP
    OP
    JimLewis

That sucks. There may be a few guys around here installing for that cheap. But they're the small unlicensed or brand new companies who haven't figured it out yet. Nobody I am ever competing with bids that low.

Avg paver install these parts is $18-$22 per sq. ft.

10. DVS Hardscaper

I don't thnk anything depends on the area.

Easy start up business. No schooling or experience needed. There isn't a single zip code in this country where someone isn't prcing work at pre year 2000 rates.

I have interacted with contravtors from all over the United states and i have yet to hear one say "I serve a gold mine and pull top dollar all day long".
    Posted via Mobile Device