1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone Know About Rear Air Bags?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Jaynen, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Jaynen

Jaynen LawnSite Member

Im just tossing some ideas around for next years setup and was wondering if there is an air bag or hydraulic system for a 1/2 ton GM truck that would allow me to raise an lower the rear of the truck when parked? If so how low can it get to the ground without a big install or fab work.

2. NLPS

NLPS LawnSite Member

hort101 likes this.
  3. Jaynen

Jaynen LawnSite Member

4. NLPS

NLPS LawnSite Member

It depends on what height your truck sits unloaded, if you’re looking at getting your hitch lower to the ground maybe invest in a drop hitch. It really depends on your suspension and how high your receiver for your hitch is.

5. Jaynen

Jaynen LawnSite Member

Ya i just want to know how much travel is possible with these kits. We need to lower and raise the truck each time we would get to a job. Which would be 15 to 20 times a day.

6. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

Are you removing the factory rear springs?
    What's the point of raising and lowering at every job site?

7. Jaynen

Jaynen LawnSite Member

Whatever gets me the most travel without major modifications. I dont want to cut the frame or anything like that. So ya i could remove the springs if that allows for more travel thats not to major.

8. NLPS

NLPS LawnSite Member

I wouldn’t remove the leaf springs, unless you plan on full rear air ride suspension (like highway tractors) otherwise you’d be in major trouble if you ever have a run in with MTO.

9. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

And what's the point like I asked?

hort101 likes this.
  10. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Gold Member
    from Chicago

I don't understand why the need to raise and lower at each stop? If you explain the need we might be able to help with a good solution. Most trucks get airbags to prevent sag when hauling heavy loads. The low rider guys notch the frame and cut the bed floors out to get them on the ground. What about a lowering kit if you just want a shorter truck? A step stool is cheap if you can't reach in the back. You could also go with smaller wheels and tires to lower height.

They make long travel airbags for 4*4s. You will also need an on board compressor.

MNLawns, dieselss and hort101 like this.