1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

anyone know of a good KOhler dealer to help me spec out a new motor ?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JagT20N, May 26, 2020.

1. JagT20N

JagT20N LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from will county Il

heres the deal , the onan dropped a valve , the repair cost is about $3K ( seat area has to be welded and machined and the aluminum I feel will not hold up as its 42 years old and the studs are pulling out ) so I decided to go with A CH640 or 680 ( leaning for towards the 680 as the extra 2.5 HP would be nice for longer/wet grass ) ,
    I have talked to several dealers with the specs I need ( 1 1/8 rear pto ( doen't drive anythign just spins in the wind but would be nice incase I get crazy enough to put a electric pto on it) , and has to be able to take a flywheel pto ( drives hydostat and belt for deck ) , and needs a oil cooler and a seperate ( not the suction valve cover fuel pump as I use a electric pump otherwise it will vapor lock ( tank behind motor and gets blasted with hot air even with a sheild )
    the several dealers I talked to said they need the spec number to order the right engine , and to call Kohler tech Number ( 1-800 huh you have a what ????? ) what a waste of time that was as the so called pros couldn't help me and played a game of transfer me around the office, you would think they have a master catalog ( do they have computers in Wisconsin yet ??) with the engine spec number in it . I know there isn't a crossover from Onan to Kohler but I want to find something that is close to what I need . I guess there is a secret handshake or password to buy a replacement motor .. hope you guys can help me out

BTW I have a Horror fright PRedator 670 on the bench and after taking it apart to see how strong flywheel is , its definately not a candidate as the fly wheel is thin where the Front pto will mount up and I do not want a 7 pound mass of cast iron as a suppository ( thats the drive deck/hydro drive ) if it breaks loose at 3600 rpm and cannot Be remachined in aluminum )

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  2. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Gold Member

Someone on here has a link to a company that repowers mowers

3. OP
    OP
    JagT20N

Oh I forgot to mention I have tried SES and OPR and they need specs

4. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

5. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from South Jersey

You really must love that mower.......

That might be a problem. You might have to go to a CH 730-740-750. I would attach the catalog, but some some reason, it's not working so follow link.
    See catalog (Engine Accessories)

https://kohlerpower.com/en/engines/brochures-literature

Not a problem, page 19

Not a problem, page 4

Mmmmm..I'm thinking you could just by-pass the pump on the engine (let it suck air) and go directly to the carb ?

The only thing left is cleanance....Here are the dimentional drawings on the Command Pro engine. The old Exmarks came with a CH 740 and can easly handle a big deck and drive the hydros.

Low profile engine..jpg
    heavy duty  air filter.jpg

I hope you have a nice "shade tree" to work under. ;)

BigFish and hort101 like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    JagT20N

only engines when new were Onans and they continued with Onans ( the P series ) till they went with the inlines when Ransomes took them over and got rid of the air cooled type so no exact crossover , and a inline water cooled is out ( would love to have but that would require extensive chassis mods . but thanks for another place to call .

7. OP
    OP
    JagT20N

thanks for the info , kind of cash strapped at the moment my truck ( pick up ) needs some work and have to pass on some of the work offered due to equipment problems ( truck and mower ) almost gave up the ghost and quit this year because of things ,

as for the mower yes I really like this , the only hydro is the Sunstrand u-15 unit , everything else is belt driven so its simple as heck , only real new stuff was the electronic ignition box I built for it so I could get rid of the condenser ( which good ones are hard to find now ) but now thats coming back off and will go on my 128 cub play toy ,

to replace it is about 15-20 K and some of the used ones ( toro and Kobuta ) are $10k easily and need work or have mega hours on them ,
    as for the tree , well.. I rather stay in the garage as it has a/c and I have a engine hoist .. my machinist is waiting for me to get him the prints to machine the adaptors for the motor .

I gave myself many headaches in the past few days , never thought this would be so complicated , I done some weird things in my life like remove a Continental engine and swap in a duetz in a 973 Bobcat skid steer starting to look like that was easier than this .

hort101 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    JagT20N

Have to correct myself on this as I forgot they used a 18 Hp blow and smoke but only could use the 48" deck , they were often under powered hense the 48" deck not the 60" . mine you could use the 72" deck but cutting rate dropped . the 24 horse was for the 72" deck .

9. OP
    OP
    JagT20N

Just to let you know I found the spec or should say specs I am looking at , 2 640's and 2 680s , my desk looks like a paper truck wreck with all the printouts . now to find out whats in stock

Breezmeister likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    JagT20N

thanks to those who helped ( here and PM ) I got the spec needed , and called the supplier and they had several in stock and should get it tuesday or wendsday , I went with the 640 -3216 as its a basic 2O hp and I can add the stuff I want later ( oil cooler ) and not break the bank , and compared the power curves ( torque and HP ) and the KOhler is actually a little stronger thanks GUYS !

hort101 and Breezmeister like this.