anyone know of a good KOhler dealer to help me spec out a new motor ?

JagT20N

Inactive
heres the deal , the onan dropped a valve , the repair cost is about $3K ( seat area has to be welded and machined and the aluminum I feel will not hold up as its 42 years old and the studs are pulling out ) so I decided to go with A CH640 or 680 ( leaning for towards the 680 as the extra 2.5 HP would be nice for longer/wet grass ) ,
I have talked to several dealers with the specs I need ( 1 1/8 rear pto ( doen't drive anythign just spins in the wind but would be nice incase I get crazy enough to put a electric pto on it) , and has to be able to take a flywheel pto ( drives hydostat and belt for deck ) , and needs a oil cooler and a seperate ( not the suction valve cover fuel pump as I use a electric pump otherwise it will vapor lock ( tank behind motor and gets blasted with hot air even with a sheild )
the several dealers I talked to said they need the spec number to order the right engine , and to call Kohler tech Number ( 1-800 huh you have a what ????? ) what a waste of time that was as the so called pros couldn't help me and played a game of transfer me around the office, you would think they have a master catalog ( do they have computers in Wisconsin yet ??) with the engine spec number in it . I know there isn't a crossover from Onan to Kohler but I want to find something that is close to what I need . I guess there is a secret handshake or password to buy a replacement motor .. hope you guys can help me out

BTW I have a Horror fright PRedator 670 on the bench and after taking it apart to see how strong flywheel is , its definately not a candidate as the fly wheel is thin where the Front pto will mount up and I do not want a 7 pound mass of cast iron as a suppository ( thats the drive deck/hydro drive ) if it breaks loose at 3600 rpm and cannot Be remachined in aluminum )

Last edited:

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member
You really must love that mower.......

I decided to go with A CH640 or 680 ( leaning for towards the 680 as the extra 2.5 HP would be nice for longer/wet grass )

That might be a problem. You might have to go to a CH 730-740-750. I would attach the catalog, but some some reason, it's not working so follow link.
See catalog (Engine Accessories)

https://kohlerpower.com/en/engines/brochures-literature

I need ( 1 1/8 rear pto ( doen't drive anythign just spins in the wind but would be nice incase I get crazy enough to put a electric pto on it)

Not a problem, page 19

needs a oil cooler

Not a problem, page 4

a seperate ( not the suction valve cover fuel pump as I use a electric pump

Mmmmm..I'm thinking you could just by-pass the pump on the engine (let it suck air) and go directly to the carb ?

The only thing left is cleanance....Here are the dimentional drawings on the Command Pro engine. The old Exmarks came with a CH 740 and can easly handle a big deck and drive the hydros.

Low profile engine..jpg

heavy duty  air filter.jpg

I hope you have a nice "shade tree" to work under. ;)

OP
JagT20N

JagT20N

Inactive
Have you tried SEW: http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/
Tried lookin' up yer mower to see what engines were avail when new ?
only engines when new were Onans and they continued with Onans ( the P series ) till they went with the inlines when Ransomes took them over and got rid of the air cooled type so no exact crossover , and a inline water cooled is out ( would love to have but that would require extensive chassis mods . but thanks for another place to call .

OP
JagT20N

JagT20N

Inactive
You really must love that mower.......

I hope you have a nice "shade tree" to work under. ;)
thanks for the info , kind of cash strapped at the moment my truck ( pick up ) needs some work and have to pass on some of the work offered due to equipment problems ( truck and mower ) almost gave up the ghost and quit this year because of things ,

as for the mower yes I really like this , the only hydro is the Sunstrand u-15 unit , everything else is belt driven so its simple as heck , only real new stuff was the electronic ignition box I built for it so I could get rid of the condenser ( which good ones are hard to find now ) but now thats coming back off and will go on my 128 cub play toy ,

to replace it is about 15-20 K and some of the used ones ( toro and Kobuta ) are $10k easily and need work or have mega hours on them ,
as for the tree , well.. I rather stay in the garage as it has a/c and I have a engine hoist .. my machinist is waiting for me to get him the prints to machine the adaptors for the motor .

I gave myself many headaches in the past few days , never thought this would be so complicated , I done some weird things in my life like remove a Continental engine and swap in a duetz in a 973 Bobcat skid steer starting to look like that was easier than this .

OP
JagT20N

JagT20N

Inactive
only engines when new were Onans and they continued with Onans ( the P series ) till they went with the inlines when Ransomes took them over and got rid of the air cooled type so no exact crossover , and a inline water cooled is out ( would love to have but that would require extensive chassis mods . but thanks for another place to call .
Have to correct myself on this as I forgot they used a 18 Hp blow and smoke but only could use the 48" deck , they were often under powered hense the 48" deck not the 60" . mine you could use the 72" deck but cutting rate dropped . the 24 horse was for the 72" deck .

OP
JagT20N

JagT20N

Inactive
Just to let you know I found the spec or should say specs I am looking at , 2 640's and 2 680s , my desk looks like a paper truck wreck with all the printouts . now to find out whats in stock

OP
JagT20N

JagT20N

Inactive
thanks to those who helped ( here and PM ) I got the spec needed , and called the supplier and they had several in stock and should get it tuesday or wendsday , I went with the 640 -3216 as its a basic 2O hp and I can add the stuff I want later ( oil cooler ) and not break the bank , and compared the power curves ( torque and HP ) and the KOhler is actually a little stronger thanks GUYS !