anyone know of a good KOhler dealer to help me spec out a new motor ?

OP
JagT20N

JagT20N

Inactive
thanks ED , but several of the places I called that specialize in things like this are like " you have a what ?????""" if its not made since 2000 no help , yet alone a mower that was made 40 years back and only for a few years .. and then comes the issue of drives as the later models they changed the deck drive position on the ransomes

or want more than what I can afford at the moment .

now I hope the engine gets here because its supposed to be coming out of the twin cities ..

Last edited:
OP
JagT20N

JagT20N

Inactive
A little update , motor was ordered on the 29th ( it came from Minn and was set for 6/2 delivery ) and was delayed by the civil unrest here in Illinoid but finally arrived on the 3rd :dancing: ( one day late not a biggie ( as projected delivery date was about the third anyways ) , UPS Said they were not going to take the chance of loosing a Semi truckload of stuff or a truck or driver ( don't blame them ))) ,

took my measurements that Kohler tech could not provide (BTW if any of you need to know the pilot on the flywheels for a Kohler is 1.875 O.D. X .1875 tall ( 1 7/8 x 3/16 for the measurely challenged and I also have the metric conversions :rolleyes: ) and is slightly tapered for a interference fit )) ,
now waiting on the chunk of steel ( 13 pounds of 1045 ) to arrive to make the adapter for the pulley drive to flywheel , and redid the drawings ( I miss my drafting table ( I am pre CAD , yes I can fart dust ..:oops:) for the machine shop to make it for me , the internal will be hogged out to lighten it , but I still have to have a locator pilot for the pulley casting ( the machinist and I did lots of talking on this as We want to keep the Polar inertia forces down ( not wanting a apx 10 # enema of steel spinning at 3600 rpm o_O, I had the force factor and the numbers were big ) and aluminum might deform ,
checked the wiring on my mower vs engine and have to make some changes ( going from a coil system to magneto ) and have to hook in a grounding relay and snubber diode ( not a biggie ) and lengthen wires ,

printed the service manual ( all 92 pages and my printer hates me )

all while going thru a bought of chronic ( not the Jake and stoner Bob "Chronic" ) Bronchitis ( nothing like hacking out your lungs ( Mucus out, the big spongy pink things are to stay in:confused: ) , and no its not C-19 ) all mowing is being subbed out to a freind for the mean time ( he hired on a some part timers who are currently shut town in there normal jobs ( can't get kids to work, but a 30 something with a family will try to keep the bills paid )

sorry its long , but stay safe guys .. well Nurse Ratchet is here with my pills :D

OP
JagT20N

JagT20N

Inactive
Doesn't Kohler have them flywheel PTO snouts avail ? Should just bolt right on, no ?
they have a large selection , but not what I needed , its 3.7 dia x 3 Inches long with a 2.75 BC on the pulley end and then the pulley assembly ( 5.5" O.D. x 2/ 3vx type with cast on 1" extension ) adds another 2.1875" to it ( OAL is 5.125 to the front of the pulley from fly wheel pad ) and the U-15 hooks via flex plates and small drive shaft to the pulley face , so I have to have a custom machined one . its hard to describe , I had a drawing and pictures of the onan with it on but cannot find it

OP
JagT20N

JagT20N

Inactive
well I known its been awhile , I just was released from the hospital on sunday ( 7-26 ) my bronchitis was covid and I was placed in isolation for a while ( 47% lung capacity ) and they also found cancer , but the machine shop has done there job ( have to go back and have them hand fit the parts when I can come out of home isolation ), but before I went in I got the wiring done with a kill relay and fuel lines , I can do little work day , by day , but have to take it easy , Dr says I am done mowing for the season . period . Guys I know its not mechanical , but if you have breathing problems , get a TEST , this is not the flu , I am lucky when I went in other wise I would be pushing up weeds instead of stareing and swearing at them ... but I have not given up the Repower will continue ! as the one guy here said with his employee "MOW!"