1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone made coversion to all standers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by john.proscape, Nov 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. john.proscape

john.proscape LawnSite Member
    from TN

So we normally run 60" Exmark Lasers and a 48" Hustler Trimstar. Most of our properties are irrigated fescue and high-end so I am trying to get lighter machines that will be easier on the turf, but still give more operator comfort that just all walk-behinds. Not to mention easier to fit more machines on the truck. Just wondering if anyone has converted away from larger/heavier ZTR machines and regretted it and why? Or not regretted it and why? I'm thinking 52" Vantages due to great dealer support with Exmark here. Thanks

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Just mentioned a stander to my friend (also our sales guy) at our dealer today. He asked if I ever used one before so I said no. He told me more people dislike them then those that like them. He has allot of guys switch without first trying one for a few days then come back upset because they don't like them like they thought they would.

So demo demo demo before you buy!

3. Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Member

prostreetcamaro is right you should definitely demo before buying. that being said i have a 52 inch exmark stander and i absolutely love it. super comfortable easy on and off for moving stuff outa my way and can handle hills alot better than ztr's.

K c m likes this.
  4. john.proscape

john.proscape LawnSite Member
    from TN

Yeah, I did demo a 48" Vantage for a day earlier in the year. That may not be long enough. Probably should run one for a week to be sure. Biggest thing I noticed was how touchy the controls were. Very easy to spin a tire but chalked that up to needing time to get used to new controls. Maybe best to find a used one and see how the guys do with it. If priorities were cut quality/striping and smooth controls, anyone have input on another brand. I assume the Toro Grandstand is just like the Vantage. The Ferris has good reviews but no dealer close. I definitely want something that doesn't kill motor every time you step off to grab a stick, etc. Thanks for replies

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

A 52 Grandstand/Advantage is heavy and eats turf.

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

My guy told me most complaints revolve around guys saying it wears them out and beats up their legs. He said their is allot of leaning and shifting weight on a stander and that tires you out. Then your legs take all the beating as they act like shocks.

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i wouldn't want to use a stander all day long but using it on a small yard every now and then would be ok throughout the day. using a ztr goes a long way in how you feel at the end of the day. you don't feel all beat up and wore out plus it's a break for your feet and legs.

Bumpmaster and Dawson like this.
  8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Not really, its no different than a sit down, except your standing.

The big benefit is they are way eaiser to load and unload, as well as stop and pick up a twig or trash.

" Naturally if your mowing acreage a climate controlled cab on a "wam" would be the way to go.

Ived come to the conclusion that there is no perfect mower, you have to figure out which one works best for you, and hope you get it right.

sjessen and knox gsl like this.
  9. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I put more hours on my standers than I do on my riders. I don’t think I’ll ever abandon the riders though. Mowing large lawns (multiple hours)with the standers is tough. Bagging is also better with the riders. Though I’m curious to see if toros new baggers for the grandstands Will be as good as the riders units.

10. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

The first time I used a commercial zturn rider I hated it too. There’s a learning curve to everything.
    Standers have completely replaced walkbehinds for me, and can usually keep up with a rider.