• CA Lessons: Landscaping To Reduce Wildfire Risk
    While there are no ways to fireproof a property, there are strategies to design and maintain landscapes for reduced vulnerability. Click here to learn more.

Anyone park on the sidewalk to get off a major road?

Ready to Mow

LawnSite Gold Member
I have a small strip of land that I mow once a month and it's right next to a 4 lane busy roadway. There is about 2ft of grass then about a 6ft wide sidewalk, then about 2 more feet of grass and that's the only area I have to park on because the actual part I mow is about 4ft above the road and you can't drive over that hump with a truck and trailer. I used to park in the parking lot of an apartment complex right next door, but they installed a fenced in gate and now it's probably not a good idea to park their anymore.

Anyone have any issues with the police when you have limited parking options like this? The truck will be parked just about right in front of the area that i'm mowing so I think it's fairly obvious what I'm doing. I hate to have to drop the customer because of this because it's a quick and easy mow.

kemco

LawnSite Gold Member
We've parked in the turn lane with Hazzard lights and cones. And for one property we park as close as we can to the curb in front of the property, yes we are parking on the street in a no parking area and we drop 3 cones behind the truck, pull in the driver side mirror and hope for the best. We are there at most 10 min. Been doing this prop for 2 years and no complaint yet from anyone... The occasional honk from the friendly drivers is all.

This is a 4 lane, 2 each way with no turn lane in the middle.

Mudly

LawnSite Senior Member
Off subject. I inherited a brand new Kia a while back from parking on the street. Still had the price paint on the window. Totaled some gear and trailer. I was tickets for parking on the street but was overwhelmed by witnesses whom sided with me to verify my legality. Also won my court case.

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
On a road with a center turn lane I very briefly parked in the middle lane. Highway patrol stopped and gave me the what for. He made me park in a subdivision 1500 ft down the road and run my lawnmower down the street.
Parking can be a crapshoot. Now I always charge a premium for crappy parking situation.

GrassManKzoo

LawnSite Fanatic
Try mowing the side of a major interstate!!
767E13ED-8961-4EAA-94B4-035CFC7B4806.jpeg
8442C182-A4C4-4516-854C-59C1806E5554.jpeg
5120B6C2-4EE0-41DC-A19A-A211337C6A2F.jpeg

I park down in the ditch. Been doing it for 2 years 5 times a year and 2 weeks ago was the first encounter with blue lights. Someone thought I ran off the road and a cop, ambulance, and wrecker showed up. Showed him my DOT papers and off he went