• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Anyone park on the sidewalk to get off a major road?

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I don't understand how you get back out, but why not just park on the shoulder and pull off into the grass a little? Nothing wrong with that.
As grassman said, you just don't have a clue about this stretch of road. :nono:

You wouldn't park on the shoulder either if you ever drove along this freeway anywhere from one side of MI to the other. It is a crazy road.

They need to change the speed limit signs from reading "Max 70 MPH /Min 45 MPH" to "Max MPH as fast as your vehicle can go, watch for non stop sudden lane changes, huge pot holes, and good luck!!!"

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
On a major highway that is a hazard.
And at least here in MI, illegal. There are signs all along the freeways that say- No stopping, standing, or parking. A flat tire constitutes an emergency which allows for temporary parking, but you can be sure that if your car is there for more than two hours it gets tagged.

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
Michigan roads are so poorly maintained it was a big consideration us deciding where to travel to. I like the Henry Ford museum but we haven't gone back specifically because how bad the roads were last time. Potholes 5" deep an heavy travelled roads. Guardrail, cable rail in disrepair. Poor highway signage. It's just an aggravating state to get around in.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Once you get above the Mt Clemens to GR latitude they seem to be better, but not many of them are great. At least this year they are paving a ton of roads and that helps.

To be fair though, Ohio roads aren't any better, at least none of them I have traveled from MI to Portsmouth or Cinnci. All these northern states have bad roads IME.

Last edited:
OP
R

Ready to Mow

LawnSite Gold Member
As grassman said, you just don't have a clue about this stretch of road. :nono:

You wouldn't park on the shoulder either if you ever drove along this freeway anywhere from one side of MI to the other. It is a crazy road.

They need to change the speed limit signs from reading "Max 70 MPH /Min 45 MPH" to "Max MPH as fast as your vehicle can go, watch for non stop sudden lane changes, huge pot holes, and good luck!!!"

Frost heaves. That's just part of driving in the north. One reason everyone drives crappy cars up there. Who cares about what a pothole will do when your vehicle will be undriveable from rust after about 7 years.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Frost heaves. That's just part of driving in the north. One reason everyone drives crappy cars up there. Who cares about what a pothole will do when your vehicle will be undriveable from rust after about 7 years.
People drive crappy cars in the north??

ive never seen so many chargers and challengers than I do here in Alaska
metric tons on mustangs too (Camaros aren’t as popular)
We have frost heaves here that evel kenevel would spend a few minutes to study before he took a run at it.

GrassManKzoo

LawnSite Fanatic
People drive crappy cars in the north??

ive never seen so many chargers and challengers than I do here in Alaska
metric tons on mustangs too (Camaros aren’t as popular)
We have frost heaves here that evel kenevel would spend a few minutes to study before he took a run at it.
:laughing:

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
No one here feels that way that I know of. Come on dude, if a vehicle cost $40-50K or more, most all of us care.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Michigan roads are so poorly maintained it was a big consideration us deciding where to travel to. I like the Henry Ford museum but we haven't gone back specifically because how bad the roads were last time. Potholes 5" deep an heavy travelled roads. Guardrail, cable rail in disrepair. Poor highway signage. It's just an aggravating state to get around in.
Freeze thaw cycle is murder on roads.