Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running Non-Highway diesel in their mowers? I just found out that I get a $0.16 kick back from the state on each gallon of Diesel we use in the mowers. Now the trick is to come up with a tracking system. Maybe set up a separate Wright Express card for each mower.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I wish I could run red in my truck. I don't have any diesel mowers (just the truck and bobcat) but I think if I did have diesel mowers i would run red. Now that I think about why is there not off road gas? We don't opperate the mowers on the road so why should we pay road taxes that are included at the pump?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
all ferris said:
I wish I could run red in my truck. I don't have any diesel mowers (just the truck and bobcat) but I think if I did have diesel mowers i would run red. Now that I think about why is there not off road gas? We don't opperate the mowers on the road so why should we pay road taxes that are included at the pump?
What do you run in the Bobcat? It is off-road classified.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
we got a fluid transfer tank for red. We use it in tractors and other diesel equipment I would NEVER put it in our f350 :rolleyes: I think we can getagricultural gas around here but not sure of the cost. Would probably need a 500 gal min

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
we ose rapid fuel cards. we have to enter mileage on each purchase...

we enter all 0000000 for equipment fuel.
this is how we keep it seperate

·
Registered
116 Posts
i get all of the taxes back for and unleaded purchase. All i do i skeep track with reciepts and my accountant does the rest. I think it is like 40-50 Cents a gallon. It takes a little time but evey penny counts.

I think there is a seperate form that he fills out for the business when filling out taxes.

Jim

·
Registered
104 Posts
You can run 3/4 tank of red diesel and 1/4 of regualr diesel and if they check your tank, the red dye sinks to the bottom. That's what I've been told by people around here that run red in their big trucks and other diesel vehicles on the road.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Gizmo_019 said:
You can run 3/4 tank of red diesel and 1/4 of regualr diesel and if they check your tank, the red dye sinks to the bottom. That's what I've been told by people around here that run red in their big trucks and other diesel vehicles on the road.
I'll let you try this first cause I think this is false info

·
Registered
45 Posts
Red dyed diesel is jast that. Regular diesel fuel dyed red. it can be ran legaly in any thing that isnt licensed for road use.
Mixing some regular with red will not do a thing as it just dilutes it slightly. A few gallons of red toped off with 20 of undyed will still get you in hot water as the use a white rag to dip your tank with. The smallest amount of dye shows up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That was just what I was told, didn't know if there was any truth to it or not. I know the guy that told me has never got caught but afew years ago a big truck wrecked and one of the tanks busted and red diesel went everywhere. The state trooper on the scene wrote him a $5,000 ticket on the spot.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
CoastalGreenscapes said:
Anyone running Non-Highway diesel in their mowers? I just found out that I get a $0.16 kick back from the state on each gallon of Diesel we use in the mowers. Now the trick is to come up with a tracking system. Maybe set up a separate Wright Express card for each mower.

What do you all think?
I run Highway in the Truck - Have an Amoco Oil Company with a key pump, and they deliver Non-Highway to my house for the three diesels we mow with. In Iowa that is about $.50 per gallon difference. This system keeps it straight and easy-No refunds to apply for or anything.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Am I missing something? I track my mower gas seperately, from my trucks and car. At tax time I take a deduction of 100% for equipment fuel and don't worry or care if the road tax was paid or who collected it, the feds or the state. I figure I get it back with the income tax calculations of business expenses. The same should apply to diesel fuels. Shouldn't it??? Like I said, Am I missing something?

Jim

·
Registered
230 Posts
The Captain,

Yes, I think you are missing something. Very simple example:

You make $10, you deduct a fuel expense of $3 - you netted $7 and that is what you pay income tax on.

The fact is you paid $3 for fuel out of your pocket. You used it as a 100% expense and you didn't pay income tax on that money you brought in, but you still bought the fuel using your money. If you can get the fuel at a discount, get a rebate on it, or not pay road tax on it, then it is money in your pocket - lower expenses.

Some of the fellows have mentioned that certain States allow you to claim back the road tax on gasoline that was used in off-road equipment. It is simply a matter of tracking your purchases and making a claim at the end of the year. This can add up to a tidy sum.

Lower expenses = more profit.

You are definitely missing out.

deej

·
Banned
246 Posts
Red dyed diesel is jast that. Regular diesel fuel dyed red. it can be ran legaly in any thing that isnt licensed for road use
Their is some more False info .. That may be in some places its the same but alot of the places the RED diesel is the same stuff it was for year's HIGH SULPHER DIESEL . Any one that wants to argue the case . I will say it as i have a million times b4 . Come on over and ill blind fold ya for 15 seconds and let ya do a sniff test on Road and Off road diesel then take a sniff of the exhaust then tell me they are the same LOL

Fuels

Regular Unleaded 87 Oct.

Mid Grade Unleaded 89 Oct.

Super Unleaded 93 Oct.

Low Sulfur Diesel - On road use

Dyed Low Sulfur Diesel - Off highway use

Dyed High Sulfur Diesel - Off highway use

Bio Diesel - Pure B100

Ethanol

Kerosene

·
Registered
607 Posts
DEEJ said:
The Captain,

Yes, I think you are missing something. Very simple example:

You make $10, you deduct a fuel expense of $3 - you netted $7 and that is what you pay income tax on.

The fact is you paid $3 for fuel out of your pocket. You used it as a 100% expense and you didn't pay income tax on that money you brought in, but you still bought the fuel using your money. If you can get the fuel at a discount, get a rebate on it, or not pay road tax on it, then it is money in your pocket - lower expenses.

Some of the fellows have mentioned that certain States allow you to claim back the road tax on gasoline that was used in off-road equipment. It is simply a matter of tracking your purchases and making a claim at the end of the year. This can add up to a tidy sum.

Lower expenses = more profit.

You are definitely missing out.

deej
DEEJ....After rereading your reply, I think you would have to declare the refund/rebate as income.That amount is not an expense, but rather is income when you get it back. You are in effect deducting once (the whole cost /gal.) and failing to report the income (the rebate/gal.). The same situation as our having to pay state income tax on our (so called income) of preivous years income tax refunds.

Don't mean to be a smart** but if it's money in your pocket, it has to be income and taxable. Double check with your tax adviser. If I'm wrong I'm sorry, but I don't want myself or anyone else in a jam with the government.

Jim

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.