1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone see or feel any business loss from the virus.

Discussion in 'Lawn Care Business Management' started by Marine03112, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Marine03112

Marine03112 LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone see in any business worry from this virus. I am a bit worried but continue to march on. I haven’t seen any loss of work yet. Stay safe out there folks.

2. Keith4216

Keith4216 LawnSite Member

I now offer toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Buissness is booming. Lol

3. OP
    OP
    Marine03112

Wow I can’t believe the run on toilet paper it’s insane.

RussellB and That Guy Gary like this.
  4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

It’s waaaay too early to affect anything but panicking stocks and airlines

this business of impact on the oil industry is ludicrous

oh no! We haven’t sold billions of gallons in the last three days! Bail us out mr president!

that’s a ton of crap right there

5. agm

agm LawnSite Senior Member
    from NM

I had a customer not shake my hand cause she said she didnt want the coronavirus! Apparently i have it and don't know it!

6. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Silver Member

Almost everybody in my city is not shaking hands now.

7. OP
    OP
    Marine03112

To be honest that’s sensible for the moment. But not mass hysteria. Let’s hope this peters out sooner rather than later.

sjessen, Doc8406, RussellB and 2 others like this.
  8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Gold Member

I think things will be disrupted for at least a month or two. School and college closings are hitting people all around me. White collar people can work from home, they can be productive, so they should be ok. My daughter works in a restaurant, I bet business will drop, she won't get as many shifts, get less in tips when she does get a shift, etc. I wouldn't want to work in a retail environment dealing with dozens of people all day long.

Until we get a handle on how widespread this thing is, the fear and doubt will prevail. The lack of testing is preventing us from learning how far and fast it is catching. Testing is the key, and we're way behind right now.

I spend 1/2 time in Newport, RI. It is a tourist/vacation town. The entire town is dependent on tourists from all over the world. The main streets are lined with restaurants, inns, and tourist shops. They just cancelled the huge St Pats Day parade. Thousands of people usually come to this parade, they flood the bars, inns, etc. Gone.

So we may feel secure and safe, but we are all in this together, and many of our fellow Americans are going to have a rough couple of months.

Marine03112, sjessen, MNLawns and 6 others like this.
  9. Tucssarg1005

Tucssarg1005 LawnSite Member

With the virus’ spread ramping up I’ve been wondering what happens to business in the event of a mandatory quarantine.

I’m solo so I could still mow and not be in contact with anyone, but I’m not sure if gas stations would still be open. I can store up some gas and cut back on the frequency of my cuts to save as much fuel as possible. Spring growth gets out of control quick if you don’t stay on top of it though.

Anyone have a plan for keeping business operational in the event of a full on shut down due to covid-19?

10. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Silver Member