Anyone seen the new Deluxe Mantis tilllers?

zanemoseley

LawnSite Member
I've been in the market for a Mantis tiller to keep weeks out of the vegi garden this year. On the Mantis website they have a new Deluxe Mantis that has a new frame design and handles, looks awesome but I can't decide if its worth the extra $$$. Currently its listed as "Available direct from Mantis only" but this may change shortly. So do you guys think its worth considering the extra $$$ for this guy. Funny thing is Mantis no longer shows the older 9" 4 cycle version on their site but they do still have the standard 9" 2 cycle.

http://mantis.com/mantis-4-cycle-deluxe-tiller.asp

LarryF

LawnSite Bronze Member
I haven't see the new one, but before you buy it, you may want to look at the Stihl MM55. I was going to get a Mantis but after seeing the complaints others had about them when I googled "Mantis tiller problems", I went for the Stihl. I've had it for a couple of years now and am very satisfied with it.

OP
Z

zanemoseley

LawnSite Member
Well I just spent the better part of an hour looking up tillers and I'm totally confused. Here's what I've seen:

Mantis 4 stroke for $405 on Amazon (after 5% cash back) or $329 off ebay for a reconditioned one. Overall people like Mantis tillers but some have carb problems, probably due to emission issues.

Mantis 2 stroke for $284 on Amazon (after 5% cash back)

Honda 4 Stroke FG110 $349 from Home Depot (plus almost 10% sales tax) Looks like a solid machine but heard about some problem with older aluminum transmissions. New transmissions may be better. Like the honda motor but don't really dig the 9.875% sales tax.

Stihl MM55 $369 (I think this was the price, I called a local shop today, could possibly find for cheaper but I still have to pay almost 10% sales tax). Looks like a nice compact unit. Not sure about the durability of the homeowner motor. Also some have noticed it appears to not dig as deep as a Mantis, this may be all speculation though.

avguy

LawnSite Senior Member
Zane I have the 2 cycle Mantis. It will dig to China if you let it. :)

OP
Z

zanemoseley

LawnSite Member
Wanna know what sucks, Amazon had the 2 stroke Mantis for like $255 a month or so ago and I was eying it. Then the price went up to $299 in just a couple days. Now I'm tempted to just go for the 4 stroke and run full synthetic in it from day one. Should have a fairly easy life since 90% of what its going to be used for is just keeping weeks out of my vegi garden.

CT John

LawnSite Member
I've had the 4-stroke Mantis(honda engine) for years and have never had a single problem with it. It starts up first pull every time even first time with old gas.