Anyone Try The New Toro Commercial 21" With The Kohler Engine?

Turf Tracer

LawnSite Fanatic
You not going to find it much different than the Kaw 180version. I got 2 now w/the CV224cc Kohler. That version allot stronger than the 180

Would probably flip a coin if dealer had a Toro/Kohler 173 and Kaw 180 on the floor with the same features.

Scratch that....the fact that Kohler CS is absolutely amazing would tilt me in that direction.

Turf Tracer

LawnSite Fanatic
The remote air filter on the Kohler also allot sturdier than KAI Kaw. All my KAI air filter covers are bungeed. That’s probably your best argument for going Kohler.

have hr meters on them to see if they last as long as my Kaws but I suspect they will.

OP
J

joed

LawnSite Bronze Member
You not going to find it much different than the Kaw 180version. I got 2 now w/the CV224cc Kohler. That version allot stronger than the 180

Would probably flip a coin if dealer had a Toro/Kohler 173 and Kaw 180 on the floor with the same features.

Scratch that....the fact that Kohler CS is absolutely amazing would tilt me in that direction.
Thanks Turf for the feedback. Like the bigger fuel tank on the Kohler version but I didn't think there was much difference between the motors. Kohler version is about $50 more. For an extra $100, you can also get the 22297 version as well. Was thinking of going with the Kohler but only if the motor is a little stronger than the Kaw180.

Turf Tracer

LawnSite Fanatic
It’s strange they didn’t use the Kohler 200 to give it a clear advantage over the Kaw models and compete w/the 200cc Honda HRX. Guessing the Kaw is being phased out and all we’ll see soon is Kohler 173 and the overweight underpowered Honda version.

OP
J

joed

LawnSite Bronze Member
It’s strange they didn’t use the Kohler 200 to give it a clear advantage over the Kaw models and compete w/the 200cc Honda HRX. Guessing the Kaw is being phased out and all we’ll see soon is Kohler 173 and the overweight underpowered Honda version.
I think you're right. Looks like that's the path they're going. I also agree that it doesn't make any sense why the CV200 wasn't put on the 21 commercial units and the CV224 on the 30" unit. I wonder if maybe they will eventually put the Kohler 200 on the 22297 and 22298 models and try to market it as an upsell from the 22287 version. Their prices are not cheap. The 22290 is $1449 Canadian, the 22287 is $1499, the 22297 is $1599 and then we move up from there. Even the new electric model is $2 000. In contrast, the Honda HRC can be bought for $1400. Anyhow, I just want to see if that Kohler engine provides any performance advantage over the Kawasaki FJ180V.

Turf Tracer

LawnSite Fanatic
The air filter on the Kohler vs the KAI Kaw version is a big selling point.

picking up a 22297 w/the CV224 and a 21385 w/XTX1100 soon. Planning on eventually all 224cc on the push.

Top Forums