Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying a jeep wrangler to use as a backup to my Ford F250. I would also use it to plow snow. I just wonder how well it would pull. I have an 18' trailer with two zero turns and a 48" walk behind on it.

Thanks,

Ed

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Wranglers are only rated to pull 2500lbs.With it being a short wheelbase,you'll have problems stopping as well as swaying.
A Grand Cherokee or Liberty would do fine though.The Liberty is rated at 5000 lbs.,but harder to lift due to the IFS.All other Jeeps have solid front axles.
Jeep Wave!!!:waving:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Originally posted by rogerslawn
Even though it is a back up it not only would'nt look professional pulling up to a customers home in a jeep , but what if you needed to haul something that day?
Damn, and all of this time I was trying to be a pro. My TJ has been holding me back. I guess I will go buy a beater half ton like everyone else and forget about standing apart from the crowd.

LOL

I tow everyday using a 99 TJ. Trailer is a 16' single axle open. I haul a JD 737, 21'', Backpack, Edger, 2 Trimmers, Water cooler, Tool box, and all kinds of junk (supplies).

No problems at all. Although I did add brakes to the trailer.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
And you aren't over the 2000lb( I was wrong.Thought it was 2500) towing capacity with what you listed.He's talking about 2 Z mowers and a walkbehind on an 18' trailer.
Not that a TJ can't do it,but it's unsafe.Not to mention what your insurance company would say should you have an accident and you're beyond your vehicles towing capacity.

·
Registered
317 Posts
No I am a bit over 2k. And with the equiptment he is talking about towing he would be way over.
Like I said, I have added brakes to the trailer and feel just as safe towing with my TJ as I do an F150.

·
Registered
317 Posts
BTW, more than once I have pulled up at a customers house for an estimate and have been told that they have seen the jeep around town.
Bubba who drives a chevy truck with the no fear sticker and the 4X6 trailer wont ever hear that because his truck blends in with all the rest.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I used a 84 cj-7 for about 4 months when I wrecked my toy. Got some funny looks and no one mistook me for anyone else. I have pulled trailers for years that weighed from 500 to 25000 or so lbs (bulldozer). And the cj did real good. I assume with some experience the wrangler would work out o.k.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just for clarification, I did not pull the dozer with the jeep. I pulled it with a L9000 ford. I assume from the stand point of the manufactures gvwr pulling anything other than a 5x10 trailer with a 4 wheeler on it would push the gvwr of most private use vehicles. And after pulling 4-5000 lbs once a week average on the 10 year old toyota I did have to put axle bearings and u joints (about $100) for parts. Just to clarify so nobody jumps up saying "you couldnt pull 25000 lbs with a jeep!"

·
Registered
781 Posts
Here is what i pull my 8x20 with!!

and when i can't find a parking spot, i just drive it into the trailer!!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Photoshope? I wish, that was all MS Paint. notice the ripples in the driveway and the poorly drawn hitch. took me a whole 5 min.

·
Registered
781 Posts
naa mini was on ebay, the trailer was on a dealer's website

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.