anyone use a Toro HoverPro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by gcbailey, Oct 5, 2013.

1. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Has anyone ever used a Toro HoverPro? They look like the old, old Flymo's We have several properties that they may be useful on, if they work. I know of 4 that are side to side that have deep drainage ditches that are steep enough you can't even stand on, you have to lean over and trim from the top, and reach up from the bottom. With a trimmer you get a butch job at best.

I saw on their site that height of cut is up to 1.2" but they have a kit to raise it more.

http://www.toro.com/en-us/golf/mowers/specialty/Pages/Series.aspx?sid=HoverProSeries

2. brucec

brucec LawnSite Senior Member

Had one similar. The only place in hovered well was in my garage so I could run the gas out of it so I could ship it to the next sucker that bought it
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Silver Member

I have 2 of the old Flymos that I keep nursing along mechanically. Soon enough parts will be canabalized that I will only have one. I would not like to be without it! In addition to all the usual difficult mowing uses it has it is nice to have (with a new blade) fr newly seeded areas for the first couple of cuts - no wheel marks or rutting.

I have not seen Toro model yet. Last Spring I overheard someone asking about it at my local dealer and he did not know when it was going to be available. If it works anywhere near as well as the Flymo I think it would be ideal for the jobs you described. It does a nice job than a line trimmer and is much easier on your body.

It is not a fine finish mower by any stretch but has its uses. The Toros are 4-cycle? That seems somewhat limiting.

4. gcbailey

from WV

I haven't looked at the spec too close yet, but does it use the .155 trimmer string? I know Husqvarna had one out that used trimmer string. I loved the old Flymo's. My great grandfather had 4 of them. He used them to mow steep banks by tying a rope to them and lowering them over and pulling back.

If they just gave a more even cut than a trimmer on banks it would probably be worth it. These are weekly maintained slopes, not trying to cut foot tall grass with them.

5. GoodSteward Property

GoodSteward Property LawnSite Member

has anyone had any recent experience with these mowers? I have a couple of properties that have really steep slopes by the road and wonder if these are a better solution then a trimmer.

6. gcbailey

from WV

Yes, I ended up purchasing one for the guys and it's OK.... Only expect to use it on slopes when the mower is below the user. I can go into more detail but it won't replace a trimmer on a steep slope.