Anyone use Amsoil Saber or Stihl Ultra?

rippinryno

LawnSite Silver Member
I just bought a gallon jug of stens 2t oil. Cost me a total of 22.76 each black Friday price. At 50 to one ratio that is about 50 cents a gallon for mix. Never ran Stens oil before which some say is relabeled Opti, which I never ran Opti either, we will see.

Been using a bunch of Dolmar oil I bought back when Makita bought them. They sold off all Dolmar labeled stuff for cheap and everything is A OK with it.
That sounds cheap, but not as cheap as the amsoil saber. I bought 1 gallon for right under $40. It was like $37.xx

That's 128 oz. I mix it at 100:1, so I get 98 gallons of mix out of the 1 gallon jug of saber. That is like 40 cents a gallon.......

ARN Greencare

LawnSite Senior Member
That sounds cheap, but not as cheap as the amsoil saber. I bought 1 gallon for right under $40. It was like $37.xx

That's 128 oz. I mix it at 100:1, so I get 98 gallons of mix out of the 1 gallon jug of saber. That is like 40 cents a gallon.......
Yeah, but you get oil dripping from your exhaust....;)

caseysmowing

LawnSite Silver Member
80:1 amsoil here 6 years. Cheap and I believe it’s a higher spec oil than Stihl ultra. I usually buy a gallon every other year.

shaunslawns

LawnSite Member
Saber. I convinced the last guy I was working with to run that in our 2 strokes and all our redmaxes as well as his Stihl chainsaw that was giving him issues for years started absolutely screaming (in a good way). I’m a big proponent for Saber but I don’t use it in my home equipment cause I can’t justify the cost.

rippinryno

LawnSite Silver Member
I’m a big proponent for Saber but I don’t use it in my home equipment cause I can’t justify the cost.
that's odd, how much are you paying for saber? It's typically cheaper than any other brand, even if you buy the packets they're like a buck each.

shaunslawns

LawnSite Member
that's odd, how much are you paying for saber? It's typically cheaper than any other brand, even if you buy the packets they're like a buck each.
Roughly $14 for a quart before shipping and $50 for a gallon - which is how we used to buy it in bulk. But I can get pennzoil for $3 a quart to use in my personal stuff that doesn’t get run nearly as hard.

rippinryno

LawnSite Silver Member
oh well if you're just running regular marine 2 cycle then yeah.

I thought you were comparing 2 cycle oil to 2 cycle oil.

shaunslawns

LawnSite Member
oh well if you're just running regular marine 2 cycle then yeah.

I thought you were comparing 2 cycle oil to 2 cycle oil.
Well, sort of, that’s for pennzoil multipurpose outdoor. It does say TCW3 approved on the bottle but if I had marine equipment I’d probably use a dedicated oil for it. I’ll end up with saber at home down the road but for the time being, my pennzoil is going to last a while.

Tommy Kite

LawnSite Member
One thing I have learned when fixing small engines is to flush the fuel system as soon as I get my hands on it. ESPECIALLY Poulan chainsaws and equipment, I have had equipment not run on premix from walmart/lowes brand new out of the jug (correct ratio according to manufacturer). So I ALWAYS put my own mix into it. No octane 87 mixed with Echo red armor, and normally they will fire right up. Fuel and oil choices make a huge difference in my opinion. I threw out 35 bucks worth of supertech 2smoke oil because of this observation.

shaunslawns

LawnSite Member
One thing I have learned when fixing small engines is to flush the fuel system as soon as I get my hands on it. ESPECIALLY Poulan chainsaws and equipment, I have had equipment not run on premix from walmart/lowes brand new out of the jug (correct ratio according to manufacturer). So I ALWAYS put my own mix into it. No octane 87 mixed with Echo red armor, and normally they will fire right up. Fuel and oil choices make a huge difference in my opinion. I threw out 35 bucks worth of supertech 2smoke oil because of this observation.

Yeah I always do this. I’ve been doing a lot of small engine repair lately so immediately the fuel in the tank gets dumped and I throw my stuff in there. Same 87 mixed at manufacturer spec