• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Anyone use GPS on their booms?

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
I am seriously considering adding something like a Centerline 220 lightbar system to my existing Teejet spray controller. Is it good enough that I can lose the marker dye and foam system? Reason why I ask, is I might need to do a 12 acre lawn monthly. Doing it with a walking boom is totally out of the question. Last time I did this job in 2008, I did it with marker dye sprayed out. That was ok, but doing the field 10 or 11 times pays for the lightbar system. I also want to upgrade from the magnetic proximity speed sensor I currently use. So adding that unit will not only provide a ground speed for the spray controller, it will also mark each pass.

Maple Wood

LawnSite Senior Member
Just curious what kind of sprayer do you use? The accuracy of the GPS system would be important. If is only accurate to 12-24" inches you are better off with a foam marker IMO. I have used a Raven controller with a GPS light bar but my boom with was 90ft and if you have 12" extra overlap on 90 foot it is no big deal. The hardest part of running a light bar is the turn around and reorientation. I have thought about this system for my Z spray but decided that it would only be useful on my largest jobs. Otherwise it is just too much turning and obstacles.

OP
G

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
It is a 10 ft boom mounted on a truck. The 12 acres is a big open field. Very easy to lose track of where I have been. On top of that it is bermuda grass, really hard to mark that with anything. I will check what that Centerline unit is accurate to.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LawnSite Bronze Member
It is a 10 ft boom mounted on a truck. The 12 acres is a big open field. Very easy to lose track of where I have been. On top of that it is bermuda grass, really hard to mark that with anything. I will check what that Centerline unit is accurate to.
4-6" Accuracy because it is WAAS enabled. Seems like that would be plenty good!

rcreech

Sponsor
I have a light bar on my ag sprayer and they are a must when spraying large areas with a 60+ ft boom. The technology is the best and the things they are doing today with them are amazing. Most larger guys are now running autosteer, auto boom height and the booms shut off/on on their own.

All the applicator does is turn on the ends!

Anyway, I looked at putting a light bar on my Z Int last spring but when I talked to LT Rich they were afraid that it would pull too many amps.

I also had a concern of it just being "bulky" on the unit.

Also, is 4-6" accuracy good enough for a 10 ft boom? I don't really know!

Also, if you are in wooded area or around a lot of buildings you will not be able to hold a signal and then it will not work well.

Plus when looking at the light bar it ONLY works well in long straight areas and foam works EVERYWHERE.

You can get a decent light bar for about $1400 and yes the accuracy is 4-6".

If you want to spend another 20K you can get sub inch accuracy with RTK! :)

Hope this helps!

RC

OP
G

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
rcreech, what is your recommendation for the speed sensor, if GPS has problems receiving. I have a proximity sensor linked to the Teejet 834 right now. It is very wanting in accuracy and reliability because every movement or bounce throws that offline. I am running my boom over short cut bermuda grass. Will radar work ok? Money is no object because this job and another job coming up I will need to spray 6 miles of fenceline from the same set up with ROW nozzles will be worth over $20,000 per year to me. The large area I need to spray is one 12 acre field with no trees to get around and few obstacles. This thing is big, like a small corn or soybean field.

Maple Wood

LawnSite Senior Member
I have used radar on a raven control system and found it to be very accurate. It replaced a magnetic proximity sensor and I felt like it was a big upgrade.

rcreech

Sponsor
rcreech, what is your recommendation for the speed sensor, if GPS has problems receiving. I have a proximity sensor linked to the Teejet 834 right now. It is very wanting in accuracy and reliability because every movement or bounce throws that offline. I am running my boom over short cut bermuda grass. Will radar work ok? Money is no object because this job and another job coming up I will need to spray 6 miles of fenceline from the same set up with ROW nozzles will be worth over $20,000 per year to me. The large area I need to spray is one 12 acre field with no trees to get around and few obstacles. This thing is big, like a small corn or soybean field.
Uur tractor's have radar for backup. But again you are looking at a massive addition and amps to be drawn from your unit.

I would check and see if a magnet system would work on the wheels. Not sure but it would be pretty cheap I would think.

We go over 350 acres per application with foam and a PG with nothing, so I am not sure why you are thinking that 12 acres is so big...but I would do it also if I wanted to worry about it because I love toys!

I use my foamer 100% of the time...but probably only need it 50% of the time. It is just a comfort for me to see and know where I have been!

Let us know what you come up with.

If you do need a lightbar, let me know as I have a very good friend that is an Ag Leader dealer and he has saved my seed customer's up to $300 on a unit! He is a wholeseller for them!

jeasley

LawnSite Member
Curious if you added the lightbar setup. I have been considering it, as I too have several large properties I spray. I have a dye setup now, similar to a foam marker. (2nd tank and pump, with one nozzle on each end of the boom). It sprays a stream of dye just like a foam marker does.

Someone told me they use white latex (el cheapo) paint as their "marker". anyone ever tried this? They say the paint is water soluble and will simply wash off with rain or irrigation.

OP
G

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
Did not add the light bar or GPS yet. I would not use white latex on grass. That stuff does not come off. Understand that I work on a totally different class of turf. If I became known as the guy that sprayed white paint on multimillon dollar estates or up and down a polo field. I had better sharpen my burger flipping or floor cleaning skills.