1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use Heritage G in granular?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HighChiefKC, Nov 29, 2018.

1. HighChiefKC

HighChiefKC LawnSite Member

At our business we don't sell Fungicide service at all. But my neighbor that canceled me this past year, he started using another local company that is doing 3 apps of fungicide on him and he's really happy with results. Doing some little research and I can across the granular form of Heritage G fungicide. This is something I'm starting to think about doing, as I try to avoid spraying as much as possible for personal health.

So my question is, does anyone use this? What types of customers do you try to sell it to? (My guess was those that are addicted to watering, or have lots of shade) How many times a year do you apply it and any certain time of year?

Amazon has a 30lb bag for $80 something I believe, and I can get it from my supplier for $70 something. What kinda prices do you charge people for it? My neighbor said he was paying $200/app three times a year. He might have 20,000 sq feet. But they are using liquid.

In Northern Indiana. Thanks!

2. Tidewater Greenworks

Tidewater Greenworks LawnSite Member

30lbs of Heritage G, (active ingredient Asoxystrobin) treats 7.5k at 4lbs/k (curative or "full strength" 28-day app strength). At $70/bag that's about $9.33/k, more than twice what you should be paying to do the same app with the liquid form and not competitive at all with the $200/app your competitor is getting. The granular form is usually marketed to the DIY homeowner who does not have the equipment or experience to apply a liquid product. It does work very well on the types of fungus that are most susceptible to it.

Also not a great idea to use only one product when targeting fungus; you could end up killing off all the strains which are not resistant to the product, leaving the 1% that are not, and in a couple years you've got fungus damage again and now you can't treat it because it's all resistant to your product.

Fungus issues in lawns are difficult to diagnose, treat, and can become major headaches if you don't know what you're getting into ahead of time. If your primary business is not lawn treatment I wouldn't suggest getting into that end of the service, it could end up costing you customers that are currently happy with the services you're already providing.

3. HighChiefKC

Thanks for that great info! Maybe it’s something I won’t look into doing!

4. Burnie

Burnie LawnSite Member

That Guy Gary likes this.
  5. friscolawner

friscolawner LawnSite Member

scoot disease EX same thing
    compare the active ingredients

6. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not trying to be rude but how did you come to the conclusion that granular was safer for your health?

It's often the inert ingredients of granular products that pose a greater risk to health than the active ingredients. Azoxystrobin isn't the reason Heritage G is labelled carcinogenic, it's the inert ingredients like silica and wood dust.

7. HighChiefKC

Well honestly I didn’t know that. It’s mostly just me smelling different liquid chemicals and not liking to breathe them in. Sometimes the different liquid chemicals give me bad headaches. It was my personal thought, not a scientific opinion. I didn’t know heritage was labeled carcinogenic either. I didn’t go that far into researching.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  8. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

The Safety Data Sheet (SDS) provides more detailed information on health risks than the Label. For instance, the Heritage G Label Signal Word is Caution while the SDS Signal Word is Danger. The Label only lists Active Ingredients, SDS lists all hazardous ingredients.

Tidewater Greenworks likes this.
  9. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

liquid fungicides are much cheaper to use, I am in the northeast so the common funguses are dollar spot, red thread, rust and occasional frog eye or summer patch on sod. If the customer is watering properly, actually having there lawn mowed with sharp blades and not bagging they rarely get fungus. This year was an exception with all the wet weather but if you have the same grass types as me your neighbor is paying a lot of money to counter poor maintenance practices, which can be free or actually save him money (ie less watering).

phasthound likes this.
  10. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

fertilizer, weed sprays and fungicides 3 times a year at only 600 on
    20k for the season. they are nickel and diming, fungicides is the most expensive thing I use and only on an as needed basis included in my program and never treating the whole lawn. its not worth competing at those prices, run the numbers.