1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use this base before?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by xtreem3d, Jun 11, 2011.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

2. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

haha. That would be nice but I stoped at the part where he said georgia. You arent going to replace 5 inches of aggregate base in deep freeze zones.

edit- I went back and watched the rest. He never even says how the stuff works. Just how much it will save you.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

How well would this work in East TN where the hardest freezes rarely go deeper than 3 inches into the soil. I'm wanting to put a paver patio on top of a flat spot in my back yard that was excavated and used for an above ground pool by the previous owners. The area has a heavily compacted clay base with 2 inches of sand on top. Looking at the video for this and knowing how well red clay compacts would it work well with removing the sand and adding 3 inches of crusher run base, sand, and then the panels?

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I dont understand the point of the panels to start with. Their own video didnt even explain the point. I would skip the panels in any event unless Im missing something but it seemed like a gimmick.

As for your project, IDK what the construction standards are down south but clay doesnt drain so you dont want to have that in mind but I would imagine 3ish inches would be sufficient in such a moderate climate. Someone here from your area will know anyway.

5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah just looked up the cost of the mats, rock is much cheaper, this stuff is $18.99/6squarefoot panel. I would already have to have rock hauled in for a thin base, so I might as well get a few more inches and not fool with the plastic panels. I can see how this could be a good thing for a DIY homeowner, that doesn't want to use equipment or move dirt by hand. I'm also have a feeling I could get it cheaper through a supply house but not so sure about it if pros turn their nose up at it.

6. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

i thought the same thing,