Anyone using battery pack hand held equipment?

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by Myk, Jan 1, 2017.

1. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

That's what I'm talking about I'd like a Tacoma sized hybrid with a dump bed or a cabover homo hybrid it could be a game changer.the Prius has pretty good pep because electric motors are instant torque:D

2. ZombieCutter

ZombieCutter LawnSite Gold Member

Chevy makes a Hybrid Tahoe/Suburban.

Cannot be too hard to take that platform and drop it on a truck frame.

hort101 likes this.
  3. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Bronze Member

If it works for you all the best. The battery mower market has improved to the point of all day mowing (Re: Mean Green Mowers-Ohio). However the cost is approx. 250% higher at this time. Granted over time it will even out but until the upfront cost comes way down most folks will stay away. $6500 vs.16,500 is hard to take when you are in a low profit margin business.

hort101 likes this.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone test the Milwaukee M18 trimmer or hedge trimmer?

I'm really liking the idea of multiple tools off one style battery.

sjessen and hort101 like this.
  5. ZombieCutter

ZombieCutter LawnSite Gold Member

I have the ryobi 18V one and it works decently. As good as an older Echo 150. And 10Lbs lighter.

6. stonny9

stonny9 LawnSite Senior Member

I work solo and on a good day I can do 15-20 yards $15 -$45 yard. That is no breaks besides driving(1.5 hrs usually) I only have 45ish and alternate weeks(so 20/20) during winter plus a lot of non waterers so at times I can get 6 cancels a day but can usually do them in a day when not in the heat of the summer.

Summer they are on a 1 week-10 day schedule.

7. Love the Green Biz

Haven't tried the line but settling on one manufacturers' line (or at most two) will keep the numbers of chargers and types of batteries in check.

8. Love the Green Biz

From the Irrigation & Green Industry "News You Can Use" this Tuesday:

"In California, lawn mowers and leaf blowers may soon be the prime source of air pollution. In three years’ time, the California Air Resources Board (ARB) expects that gardening equipment will surpass cars as the biggest single ozone polluter.

It seems like a strange idea, considering that there are millions of cars all along California’s roads and freeways. But efforts to reduce smog have resulted in tighter regulations on car exhaust, and alternate options. Carpooling and electric cars have greatly reduced fuel emissions from cars. However, aside from noise complaints, there have been no public campaigns to swap out gas-powered yard equipment for electric.

“Unless the ARB adopts more stringent controls, emissions from small off-road engines are going to really become much more significant, relative to cars,” said Michael Benjamin, a member of the ARB.

Because of these findings, California is considering offering major incentives for landscape companies that switch to electric equipment. However, there is no set plan for regulating off-road engine emissions just yet."

Food for thought-we all have to use the air around us to live. Perhaps incentives are the way to go to get more of us to switch to electric (as much as possible for each application).

So please let us know-what would it take to get you to switch? Rebates, tax concessions? Let's hear your thoughts out there!

HortGuy1 likes this.
  9. Mark Oomkes

I find this extremely difficult to believe.

HortGuy1 likes this.
  10. Mark Oomkes

Exactly. And with the number of tools available for the M18 already, it seems if the trimmer and hedge trimmer are any good, it would be a great option.

Little fun fact, Genesis rescue tools has a line of battery powered rescue tools that run off Milwaukee batteries. And one of the ambulance stretcher manufacturers also makes one with electric lift powered by Milwaukee batteries.

HortGuy1 and hort101 like this.