Anyone using battery pack hand held equipment?

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by Myk, Jan 1, 2017.

1. grass man 11

grass man 11 LawnSite Member

The echo 56 v uses the same shaft and head as their standard trimmers. That's one of the reasons we felt to choose them for testing. It's a split shaft unit. Even though they don't rate it to run other tools, I intend to try it

2. HortGuy1

HortGuy1 LawnSite Member

Here's another company in Missouri using solar panels and battery powered equiptment.
    Clean Air Lawn Care St. Louis, Missouri
    Sustainable Organic Lawn Care Services & Yard Maintenance |
    http://cleanairlawncarestlouis.com/

3. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Senior Member

The writings on the wall everyone-start looking into battery power for some of your handhelds. There's plenty to choose from.

HortGuy1 likes this.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Haven't used the Milwaukee hedge trimmer much, but it seems to be working out fairly well. Not quite as powerful as a gas, but way, way quieter. I wouldn't say it has affected productivity as of yet.

One of the newer high capacity batteries will last the entire day if we're not using it constantly, otherwise we need a second.

sjessen and HortGuy1 like this.
  5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Mark, does it weigh about the same as a gas unit?

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Actually I used it today and even with the high capacity battery I think it's lighter.

7. stonny9

stonny9 LawnSite Senior Member

I was just sent a GreenWorks Hedge Trimmer as a free product for a review. I use a Echo PAS 225 with non-articulating head. Probably have 1.5 hrs use in 3 weeks. I was able to do 30 mins of hedges and battery still said 1/2 full. My main complaint is my echo has a "tip protector" which keeps the end from jamming into the ground or house as it moves back and forth and the Greenworks doesn't.

HortGuy1 likes this.
  8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Other than the tip protector how does it compare?

HortGuy1 likes this.
  9. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Bronze Member

On well manicure landscaping the electric is a viable option. I only have one and it's an extension articulating. It was purchased to do a dozen holly tree tops I have at an condo complex. I was quite impressed with battery capability. It is cheap b&d 20v I bought new off Craigslist for $60. They retail $130 and I think it's worth it for my use. I can run it for 1hr plus full open. I would be interested in trying some more higher voltage ones but the only down fall I see of the battery powered hedge trimmers is the blades.

HortGuy1, sjessen and hort101 like this.
  10. stonny9

stonny9 LawnSite Senior Member

I dont trim hedges much but so far it hasnt stalled on any branches like my 225 although my blades probably need sharpening. I have only used the 225 PAS so mine is long so this one I feel all cramped. Getting really easy to pull the lever to rotate the handle side to side. The front handle needs to be softer it is just hard plastic now. Kinda feel funny with sweaty hands. Label it as a pro-sumer in material aspect. Takes a little getting used to the on/off operation as in it is 100% throttle or nothing. It does have a soft slightly delayed start. Nothing to cry about. Ill try and do a vid and post the pics taken some time later. Working 2 jobs 7 days a week.

HortGuy1, sjessen and hort101 like this.