Anyone using battery pack hand held equipment?

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by Myk, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Primo Landscaping

Primo Landscaping LawnSite Member

This has been an interesting discussion. I considered buying some electric trimmers for this season but did not yet since a lot of our properties are large and many biweekly. I am waiting until run times and actual torque are a bit more equivalent to gas powered units.

HortGuy1 likes this.
  2. HortGuy1

HortGuy1 LawnSite Member

DEWALT specifically designed the DCCS620 20V MAX compact cordless chainsaw as a versatile option for tree work and cutting timbers. According to the company, the chainsaw delivers:

• A 12-inch Oregon bar and chain that offers low-kickback cutting in compact spaces, as well as tool-free tensioning and auto-oiling.
    • The ability to achieve up to 90 cuts per charge using a 20V MAX 5.0 Ah lithium-ion battery on 4- by 4-inch pressure-treated pine wood.
    • The convenience of starting the chainsaw with the pull of the trigger, eliminating the cold starts and carburetor issues that come with gas-powered chainsaws.
    • A weight of 9 pounds, which is optimal for small cuts in tight spaces.
    • An efficient brushless motor.

hort101 and Mow-Daddy.com like this.
  3. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Senior Member

Good points all for the Dewalt 20V 5.0 ah-I use them in their 22 inch hedge trimmer and blower. I get long run times-I've trimmed 150 plus ornamentals on one charge and the blower goes for at least one hour in total (though I've never run it continuously). I use a CORE 21 V line trimmer for personal and business use (mostly edging and cleaning valve box perimeters) and get a decent run time out of it but it is 3 years old and the power cell is like hefting two bricks. As the cells improve the industry should start to see the light-you can't beat the comfort of no oil/gas mixing, pulling cords and the lack of fumes.

HortGuy1 and hort101 like this.
  4. Velo781

Velo781 LawnSite Member

Amazon has Gold Box deals going on today with the Greenworks 80v handhelds. $119 for a trimmer with battery and charger. $60 blower. I picked up some extras.
    This is when you buy. Way cheaper than gas equipment and plenty good for city lots.

Love the Green Biz and HortGuy1 like this.
  5. Love the Green Biz

Checked it out-deals are legit. Guys-great opportunity to try battery products on the cheap. The blower is $60 alone or $169 with battery/ charger and this gives you the extra battery. It does 125 mph and 500 cfm. Great for grab and go, blow and trim. Try it-you'll like it!

HortGuy1 likes this.
  6. big E W

big E W LawnSite Member

sorry diddnt read all post just signed up today figured id throw my 2 cents in
    we run all stihl gas hedge trimmers as of now
    actualy just got 2 diff model stihl battery op hedge trimmers to demo this week was not impressed with them felt like toys cant comment on battery life only used them for a little while
    i did run 2 models of the greenworks hedge trimmer i loved them batterys lasted a full day for us light weight and cut great would rather the greenworks over the stihls if had to pick
    we will be keeping our gassers for now tho

HortGuy1 likes this.
  7. Love the Green Biz

I just used the Greenworks 40 volt hedge trimmer and cranked out 45 solid minutes of heavy trimming before it gave out. I trimmed the same area last year with the Dewalt 22' and it went 60 minutes on the 5.0 AMP/hr cell. Greenworks was a slightly better trimmer-but only slightly. As the cells come down in price it will come to the point of having a dozen charged cells on the truck being no issue. Drop them in their charging station and plug them in overnight at the shop.

HortGuy1 likes this.