1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone using oregon blade spindles?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tony b, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

I was wrong about the OEM Exmark spindles they do come packed with grease. I just went out to the shop and looked and sure enough it was stamped "Oregon". I was almost 100% sure the spindle came in an Exmark box!!!

2. tony b

tony b LawnSite Member

I don't buy anything from my local dealers anymore except stihl trimmers and toro 21's. I bought 4 shindaiwa 802's last yr from Wise Sales and saved $460. I usually buy all my exmark's bank repo with very low hrs or someone who doesn't want to make the payment anymore (no I don't take over payments). I understand my local dealer only buys so much and pay a higher price etc. etc. but that doesn't feed my family or my 401k. If my dealer wants $81 for a spindle I can buy for $40 without leaving the house ($4 a gal gas) then I'm a fool for giving him my business. About 5 yrs ago I finally wised up to a few things. I just wish it wouldn't have taken me 15 yrs of getting screwed over to get there. Anyway if your dealer is charging exmark retail for aftermarket parts I would start buying online unless you have to have it "yesterday". Just my .02

3. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

I purchase almost exclusively online.

4. clydebusa

clydebusa Inactive

^^^^ same here ^^^^^^^

5. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

I rebuild my spindles with aftermarket bearings. Cheap. Ten bucks a spindle for a Great Dane and a little more for a Scag. Those damn factory spindles with no grease fittings; well I have a trick for them. I drill out a hole in the housing, thread it, and put a grease fitting in it. I haven't bought an entire spindle assembly in five years or so. I'm no accomplished mechanic either.

6. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

I would add Ferris to the list, Ferris clearly being #1.