Anyone using Square for Payroll?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by AWilsonCreativeServices, Nov 2, 2018.

1. AWilsonCreativeServices

AWilsonCreativeServices LawnSite Senior Member

I use Square for running a few credit cards every month (mix of recurring lawn care and other 1 time landscape work). I know there are other, less-costly cc processing options, but to be honest this is what I've stuck with because I knew it and it has the name-recognition with customers so they feel safer.

This week, I received an email saying Square now handles payroll. They withhold and file, pay employees (direct deposit option), etc. For what I would use, it costs abt $30 per month subscription + $5 per month per employee paid. So, I guess it would end up costing me roughly $50 per month once I find whatever other hidden costs there may be. $600 per year to get this monkey off my back sounds like a great deal to me.

I have been doing all of this long-hand, and seem to constantly be messing something up (which is my own fault, and I should be more engaged with the operations end of my bis, which is why I'm looking for something different). PS I don't use any software like Quicken right now. As of Jan 1, 2019 I am moving to some form of computerized invoice generating and financial tracking, just not sure which yet. Got to do away with the Word Doc invoices and pencil and paper bookkeeping lol (we currently email 100% of our invoices, but they're just Word Doc's that we have to go in and change every time). Square can generate invoices, track payment and payroll, and (I believe) integrate with online banking stuff, so it would be a one-stop shop for me.

Does anyone use Square for payroll? We only have x2 employees besides me, and I know this shouldn't be that difficult for me to manually compute and keep up with, but I am smart enough to know I have been messing it up and need to get that responsibility off my plate.
    Also, if not Square, what do y'all recommend for one-stop shopping so I can stop writing out checks at the end of the week and get all my business financials in one place? Thanks in advance!

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5390

P.S.- if this (specifically, Square) has been covered elsewhere, my apologies. I didn't see anything by searching the forums.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  2. AWilsonCreativeServices

Anyone out there have some experience with Square? Thanks

3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Silver Member

Nope quickbooks here. Use it for invoicing, payroll , bill pay, everything but scheduling!

4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

If you’re going to switch to accounting software you might as well wait and do payroll with it as well. QuickBooks online will do all of what your wanting and u can run credit cards through but as well. I’m not sure if their pricing structure but it may be a better deal for you as well. Basically I’m saying don’t waste your time settin g this up when you’re already planning on switching to something else.

5. AWilsonCreativeServices

^ Thanks for the replies. I guess I should listen to the 95% of everyone that I talk to abt bookkeeping and check into QuickBooks.