Anyone Using The New Easy Straw?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Hineline, May 15, 2019.

1. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

So what was spreading that stuff like ? I assume you have to rake/shovel it around. Was it wet ?

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Pics?

RussellB likes this.
  3. ETM

ETM LawnSite Silver Member
    from GEORGIA

Maybe there is 1% weed seeds in it

4. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

Where do you buy this for $7 a pallet?

5. OP
    OP
    Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have any pics right now but picture the ground completely covered to a depth of maybe 3/8 ths of an inch. That's how flat it lays. Looks great when done. Once wetted down it will not blow away.

Doing whole lawns might be done by dumping piles and whisking them out with a rake or carrying the bag and flicking the product out in place with the back of your hand. Once I saw how fine the product was I very quickly came up with the concept of converting a hand held blower into a straw blower. I'll try to get a pic.

My seed supplier has it priced at 7.00 for a pallet price. 8.00 for less than.

hort101 and RussellB like this.
  6. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

This is good info.

sjessen likes this.
  7. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I’m just wondering how they came up with that number. It seems to me like 1% by volume or weight would be a lot of weed seeds, a quarter pound of weed seeds by weight, but the user isn’t seeing any weeds.

Maybe they mean that only 1% of the seeded area will have weeds? I’m just having to make guesses because too little information has been provided.

ETM likes this.
  8. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

Whos your supplier, and what are if any advantages to penn mulch

9. OP
    OP
    Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Senior Member

Oliger seed in Akron Ohio.

I hate pennmulch. That is the biggest advantage other than spreading and coverage and cost.

10. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Even if its 1% weed seeds its better than the 5-15% (imo) junk i have been using all my life. It kills me that i can spend so much time getting a piece of ground ready and then have to put weeds straight back out there and encourage it to grow.

So i will take it, even with that mysterious 1%. I have to see for myself how much coverage you get out of a bale, but its looking like its worth it in the long and short term.

hort101, sjessen and RussellB like this.