Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 40 of 655 Posts
That's what I was wondering about. How much difference was there between your old blades (or the oem blades) and the G6's? Was/is it enough to slow you down in certain situations?
Thanks.
I could see how it might slow down a lesser powered mower. The older Gator blades were as easy to spin as the OEM blades but, the hi-lift G6 Gator Blades are noticeably harder to spin. If my mower had a smaller engine I would probably put the older Gator blades on if I were going to cut some thick grass. Since I've got 33hp it's not that big a deal. I can say that the cut quality is just as good with the G6 as any blade I've ever tried.

I sharpened, balanced and squared the tips of a new set of G6s and installed them this evening on my Grasshopper 722D, Kubota diesel, 52" with full mulching kit.

Mowing mostly St. Augustine tomorrow, currently with high growth rates, will let you all know how it goes.

The 722D is a mulching monster with regular medium lifts, any further improvement would be gravy.

Improvements hoped for would include; reduced un-cut weed stalks and a better finish cut on the first pass when mowing at high ground speeds.
Also, reduced clumping in very weedy/wet turf.

I could see how it might slow down a lesser powered mower. The older Gator blades were as easy to spin as the OEM blades but, the hi-lift G6 Gator Blades are noticeably harder to spin. If my mower had a smaller engine I would probably put the older Gator blades on if I were going to cut some thick grass. Since I've got 33hp it's not that big a deal. I can say that the cut quality is just as good with the G6 as any blade I've ever tried.
Thanks for the reply. Did/do you notice any improvement in mulching from them?

I sharpened, balanced and squared the tips of a new set of G6s and installed them this evening on my Grasshopper 722D, Kubota diesel, 52" with full mulching kit.

Mowing mostly St. Augustine tomorrow, currently with high growth rates, will let you all know how it goes.

The 722D is a mulching monster with regular medium lifts, any further improvement would be gravy.

Improvements hoped for would include; reduced un-cut weed stalks and a better finish cut on the first pass when mowing at high ground speeds.
Also, reduced clumping in very weedy/wet turf.
All the improvements you mention here can be done by removing the baffle under the front of your deck. That is if it's bolted on. I have a 52" Bobcat and since I removed the baffle I rarely have any uncut stalks. Helps with everything else you mentioned also.

I have a Tiger Cub with 48" deck and haven't been able to locate a G6 blade for it. I've even looked on oregon's web site and don't see one listed. Has anybodyelse found one? All help is appreciated.
They make em. I have a set on the shelf right now. Cant remember the number off the top of my head though. 16.5" 5/8hole

found em 396-735

All the improvements you mention here can be done by removing the baffle under the front of your deck. That is if it's bolted on. I have a 52" Bobcat and since I removed the baffle I rarely have any uncut stalks. Helps with everything else you mentioned also.
Hi Shoreline,
Thanks for the reply! The baffle is fixed on my Grasshopper deck, but it might be fun to modify an older deck and see what happens.
There's always a better way to do things! Congrats on the Bobcat, they appear to be quality machines.

I want to try G6 blades on my Hustler Z with the 60" XR7 deck.

The Oregon G6 part no. 396-740 is 20.5" long, with the 5/8" mtg. hole, which is the same as my other OEM blades.

It is the closest "dimensionally" (in G6 blades) to my other "Gator" blades.

However it is also 3" wide, whereas the others are only 2.03" - 2.50" wide.

Anyone tried running 3.0" wide blades on this deck? Please advise!

The Oregon G6 part no. 396-740 is 20.5" long, with the 5/8" mtg. hole, which is the same as my other OEM blades.

It is the closest "dimensionally" (in G6 blades) to my other "Gator" blades.

However it is also 3" wide, whereas the others are only 2.03" - 2.50" wide.

Anyone tried running 3.0" wide blades on this deck? Please advise!
They won't hit. Although the blade is 3" wide it's still the same length from tip to tip and that is where you'd have a problem.

If you measure the overall length of a 2-1/2" blade and a 3" blade you'd find the 3" blade is a litte shorter.

Good to see all the comments about our G6(tm) blades. We always do as much testing as possible before we introduce something new but the real test is you using them on all the different types of grass and machines out there. We like to see the positive comments but we also appreciate hearing why it is not working in a paticular situation so we can improve. Let me know if you have any questions or comments. And as always thanks for using Oregon(r) products.

We like to see the positive comments but we also appreciate hearing why it is not working in a paticular situation so we can improve. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.
Whatever you do, don't change a thing on the G6. I like them just the way they are and they are THE ONLY blades I will ever buy again. If you must make a change call the new blade the G7 or something. Keep making this blade the way it is. I've looked for 18 years for the perfect blade, and I''ve tried them ALL. No others come close.

Whatever you do, don't change a thing on the G6. I like them just the way they are and they are THE ONLY blades I will ever buy again. If you must make a change call the new blade the G7 or something. Keep making this blade the way it is. I've looked for 18 years for the perfect blade, and I''ve tried them ALL. No others come close.
Thanks for the comments. We have no plans to change the G6(tm). It has proved as you stated to be the best version we have produced for the pro cutters like yourself. We are going to introduce on a limited basis this year a new blade called G5(tm) which has all the features of the G6(tm) but is made of a little lighter steel to help get the weight down a little for those machines that can't handle it. Still will have same lift and be 3" wide. Has to be 3" wide to allow us to get that extra high lift formed into the blade.

21 - 40 of 655 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.