1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

anyone walk for no reason?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, May 29, 2008.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i guess this particular thread is aimed at those who run walkbehinds with sulkies. but do you walk when cutting when you can ride? i find myself walking alot just for the exercise. anyone else do this or am i just crazy? thanks.

randy.

2. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope, I always use the sulky at my job. We have to get the property looking nice but in a short time so I always ride. But if you have time, than I guess walking is alright.

3. lawnguy001

lawnguy001 LawnSite Member

Yes, Randy, You are crazy.............

4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i love brutal honesty. :laugh:

5. Skiross

Skiross LawnSite Member

I walk all the lawns I mow. Sometimes in top gear, sometimes slower. Keeps me young. Why pay for a gym membership when you can have a mower pull you around for 6 hours. Thought about a sulkie but...nah.

6. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

yea, you have lost your marbles.......too much gas & grass....

7. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I ride, one of my employees walks every job and a second employee of mine ride half and walks the others (depending on the job or his mood).

8. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Same here. I had considered a sulkie too, but they leave a wheel mark in every stripe, and my high-end residential clients would not like that. They also make a mess of a yard if the ground is soft/wet.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I used to walk the Toro for that reason, but also to build myself up, because I never know the day that Velke craps out and I have to walk it...
    What's the choice, run home to get the spare or finish the dang lawn walking it?
    Sorry, if the mower still runs and cuts good, I walk.

But the most I can do walking is 5 maybe 6 lawns, I'm not much past 4th gear either man that thing will walk you dizzy and unconscious lol
    Not sure what it is, but I used to get off on working myself dizzy, then keeping myself there :p

I remember mulch was another of those jobs I could do for hours in a dizzy stage.
    Has to be cool outside thou, and drink lots of water.
    String trimming to a point, leaves, too.

It was crazy, like a free legal high thou...
    Not much for it anymore, too many unwanted side effects for me.

10. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I usually walk, unless it's a real big area. During dry spells I always walk because the ground is too rough riding. I find myself using the 21" in fences a lot just for the exercise. At 35 the pounds go on easier than they come off so I try to keep them off. Topsites I know what you mean about about working dizzy. I used to do a place where I would trim for 5 hrs. straight while 5 guys mowed, I loved it. I thought I would do it again this year to teach the young guys how it's done. I did it, but the following week I grabbed a mower and we split the trimming.