Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Changing your mind again?
Well my buddy had in F-350 with a 5.4 in it. It was kinda under powered in my opinion and got like 10-12 towing and max like 14 daily driving. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Krazy, from another ford truck forum i belong too, i got that they are a decent engine, but with below-par fuel milage (or for a ford, par fuel milage). they have had an issue with f spark plugs getting spit out; yes it does happen, but not very commonly. I am looking at a 99 LD 250 with the 5.4, so i did alot leg work. but KPS is in the ball park for the milage numbers from what i could garner, as the 250 and 350 SD are durned similar.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i drive an 02 f350 with 5.4 for work and my personal truck is an 04 f250 with 5.4 my personal truck gets between 14 & 18 on the highway and 10-12 around town depending on how many fire calls i go on. I use this truck to tow a 7700 pound 30' camper with no problems i did add firestone airbags to smooth out the ride with trailer on. my work truck gets about 8-10 only driven around town and its a govt. model we tow our bobcat 763 around with these trucks with now problems.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Dont have it anymore, but had a 2000 f250 5.4 4x4.. Had 165k HARD miles on her, and still ran good. Didnt burn any oil, and had the original clutch(5spd).
Had a 8' plow for the last 3 winters I had it. Got around 13-14 in town. Maybe 17-18 hwy. Good truck, but like others said a little under powered.....:usflag:

·
Registered
580 Posts
I drive an 01 reg cab 4x4. 5.4 auto w. 3.73s. As others said a little underpowered. Does fine with an 8' blade in winter though. Does everything its asked to just a little slower. I wish I was even getting the mileage others are. Just checked mine 8.5 mpg mixed city/highway all with trailer. Will sometimes get 11 empty. The newer 3 valves are supposedly more powerful and better on fuel.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I drive a '00 250 crew cab 4x4 with the 5.4L. No complaints. Decent towing. Decent mileage for the size. Great truck.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
My '99 F-350 reg. cab. has 154,000 original miles on the 5.4L and runs awesome. Been very dependable and i'm not the original owner. Hasn't been a dissapointment yet and it definitly gets worked.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a recent thread with my '04 I just bought. As it says, I'm getting around 8-9 mpg around town. It has a 3.73 rear end and I keep OD turned off. This mpg average is 100% towing an 18' trailer with two Gravelys. It does "OK" with power but I expected that. If I need muscle, I break out the 6.0L.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=240953
wow! I really like yur utility body!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a 2003 F-350 5.4 and I love it. Its got about 102K on it and doesn't have any problems at all. I have had it for about 3 years now and its got a downeaster 8ft dump insert and hauls a CASE 440 CT no problem. For a truck like that it gets fine mileage depending on what your pulling.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I have a 00 1/2 ton with that engine and it is a dog but it is near 200-K without so much as a alternator needed. Just seat, steering wheel, lock and window actuators and I did put on new wheel bearings at 160-K.

I have to confess the only thing I have to compare to is either 70 Chevy w/454 :weightlifter:03-3/4 ton HD Chevy :weightlifter:and my Dodge w/Cummins:weightlifter::weightlifter: so I guess the comparisons are not really fair. I pull a 16 X 8.5 enclosed with a few small 21"-27" mowers and a lot of pruning tools. So it is not very heavy.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have an 04 F250 with the 5.4L in her. I like it. She usually gets about 12mpg doing city and hwy--but I also keep it fairly loaded down with tools and materials. I pull a 3ton dump trailer about 30% of the time. The truck will pull it, slowly, and the rpm will shoot up to 4k, but she will pull it.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
No good for towing, they are a dog, your foot will be smashed in the accelerator. I'm not just bashing the truck's either, we use to be big into motocross and stock cars so we have had alot of trucks to tow our trailers around. Ford gas motors were some of the worst we expeirenced. Learned to stick with chevy gas motors and dodge cummins.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a 5.4 in a 1/2 ton, and I hated towing my mowers with it, it was a total dog... But it did have 179,XXX on it when I sold it and I never had a problem with it... I also only had it for a few thousand miles, and every other truck i've had has had a built motor in it so I really havent had any other "stock" trucks to compare it to. Oh yeah, my mileage was never above 10 unless i was unloaded on the highway.

·
Registered
244 Posts
they have had an issue with f spark plugs getting spit out; yes it does happen, but not very commonly.
The 2000 and older 5.4's had heads that only engaged 4 threads of the spark plug. 2001 and up they changed the heads and now engage 8 threads. With that said, my 2001 spit a plug two weeks ago but it may have been due to the plug being improperly torqued (aftermarket plugs). Didn't cause any damage to the head or plug and was able to just put it back in. Did need a new coil since it broke as the plug shot out.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Here you go Kajun

2002 E350 Box truck
5.4l triton
Typical load-5k pounds-2 ZTRs, 2 walk behinds, 4 trimmers, air compressor, 3 workers
Mileage-13 or so on the highway, 9-11 in town. Seems to get way better than that, we can go an entire day in town on 1/4 tank.

Runs like a raped ape :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just threw my tags on my "new" F350 5.4 yesterday and got her on the road. I hooked the trailer up, which weighs at least double what a standard landscape trailer weighs because my grandfather built it homemade to haul a tractor back and forth and then gave it to me when I started up this year. Its heavy with it's 14' length, two cast iron I Beams running down the sides and most piping coming from demoed cast iron fire sprinkler system scrap he had, but it was free and nothing beats that! At any rate, I took it over and hauled a 6' blade for my tractor about twenty miles on back roads and 4th was a bit shaky on some hills and especially when not running hard into them but 3rd nailed it each time I asked and took it on home with no problem and that was here in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mts. The trailer and the blade had to equal what a regular landscape trailer and two mowers would amount to if not more. My old Dodge that I just got rid of had 5.9 gas V8 and the Ford was even with that, if not better, and I am not biased at all, I loved that Dodge for 202,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.