1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Anyone with Honda 21s using Magna Matic Balancer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. JimLewis

    JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,872

    We use all Honda 21s. I was looking into buying a MagnaMatic balancer and wondering if it was worth it. My local Honda dealership, who I have a very trusted and respected relationship with, said that perfect balance isn't all that crucial. They said the cut should still be pretty good as long as the blade is sharp.

    Just wanting to hear personal experiences from those who've used the Magna matic on their Honda commercial mowers. Do you notice a big difference?
  2. yes it mounts easy for honda 21 inch blades gets them balanced perfertly ...less vibbration on the mower...i wouldnt run any mower without balanceing it on the mag....the mag is well worth the 135 bucks i paid .
  3. JimLewis

    JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,872

    It's only $135?? I was under the impression it was much more. Maybe I was thinking of the blade sharpner. Heck, for that price I might as well just get it. Thanks!
  4. 65hoss

    65hoss LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,360

    The magna blade balancer is a necessity in my opinion. I did it the old fashion way and though, oh well, i'm close.
    When I got the magna I found out I wasn't even close to being close.

    Sharp balanced blades will do a few things for you:
    1. A balanced blade takes all the vibration away. Vibration is a power robber and future mechanical failure of anything.
    2. It uses the full potential of the mower because its running smooth and getting all the horsepower of the motor where it counts most...in the grass.
    3. It will make the job more productive. If not balanced you get 90% of the potential, what would giving you the other 10% do? I would bet that getting full potential from the mower would make it bag the grass better, cut better, and be just a little faster.
  5. germann

    germann LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 268

    I have a hard time sharpening the honda blade on my magna sharpener. It is hard to get the edge straight, the bevel is way off, and the blade turns blue in a hurry. I love the grinder for everything else
    Any tips?
  6. gogetter

    gogetter Banned
    Messages: 3,256

    Jim, I was gonna say, if you do decide to get one, make sure you shop around. I've seen a big range in prices on these depending on where you look.
    FWIW, Captdevo has good prices on this stuff.
  7. dkeisala

    dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 911

    Jim Lewis - I know you use exclusively honda 21's - I've used JD, Toro and Honda in the past. I need a new 21 and considering going back to Honda. Stark Street Lawn & Garden is a good source for me as they have several brands and don't just try to sell the one line of equipment they carrry but was wondering which model of honda 21 you prefer to use?
  8. JimLewis

    JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,872

    Yah, in the past, I've bought most of my mowers through Stark St. They give me almost $100 off retail price because we buy from them. But recently I found another small Honda Dealership who will give me an even better price.

    We only have the HRC216HXA models - the Hydros. They're the best. I don't like the 2 speeds too much.
  9. Fareway Lawncare

    Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada
    Messages: 2,222

    Hi Jim, your local Honda dealership is correct IMO.

    I run alot of 21"s as well, mainly LB's & Toro's...those Honda's are just too dang heavy. Blades are only balanced once at beginning of season & during the season if they have any damage. Still the Mag is your best bet.


Share This Page