1. Ask the Expert: Fertilization Strategies for Success: Dec. 12, 2017
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: Dec. 12, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Anyone working in a small town?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Watkinslawnservice, Jun 21, 2005.

  1. Watkinslawnservice

    Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 378

    Just wondering if any of you guys do most of your work in a small town. I live in a town with a population of under 5,000 people but it is close to a mojor metropolitan area. I put out 6000 flyers in a larger town just north of my town and got almost nothing from it. In my home town I have 12 accounts that I got all from word-of-mouth and a box ad in the local paper.

    How much time and money should I spend on advertising in this small of a town? Do you think I am almost maxed out in this town and should move on to spending my money and time elsewhere? Or should I continue to advertise, hopefully saturating every household with flyers, ads and the like?
  2. drmiller100

    drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 562

    i live in a mountain resort town.

    i tried, flyers, got ZERO response. yellow page ads are big for me because a yellow page ad implies some business dedication.

    service box in the newspaper was pretty good early. folks i talked to said businesses that want customers advertise there.

    big sign on the side of the truck with a mower in the trailer seems to do pretty well. calling the compettion has been HUGE for me. folks getting bigger want to get out of the business.

    recurring revenue baby. gotta love it.
  3. rsls

    rsls LawnSite Member
    Messages: 61

    I live in a small town with about 4000 people and have 85% of my customers there and the other 15% in three neighboring cities. I too put out fliers in the neighboring cities with minimal luck. People in my town like the "hometown" business providing their service, and in fact had customers switch to me from LCO's that were not locally owned. Most of the accounts I have in the other cities are from word of mouth or related in one way or another to the customers in my hometown. Funny how it works out that way!
  4. daveintoledo

    daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,587

    most from flyers and work of mouth here, im concentrationg in this town and neighboring towns, same as you, little responce on other towns so far but im not giving up

    yellow pages dont work.... especially small town , do a search on this on google and you will find many studiees have show yellow pages at cost per advertising dollar dont work.....

    keep at it
  5. eshreve1234

    eshreve1234 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 184

    Dave where around Toledo are you?
  6. daveintoledo

    daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,587

    im really closer to fremont, but knowone knows where that is at..... so i call myself dave in toledo...hahahahhhh
  7. pagefault

    pagefault LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 492

    I have 14 customers and counting that are from two adjacent neighborhoods with less than 1000 houses total. Most of them came from flyers and knocking on doors, but I have started getting word of mouth and walk-up customers.
  8. Watkinslawnservice

    Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 378

    rsls, how many customers do you currently have? I hope I can do that well to have 85% come from my town. Well actually I have 100% right now but that is only 12 accounts.

    Thanks everyone
  9. Team Gopher

    Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -
    Messages: 4,040

    Hi Watkinslawnservice,

    Since you live in a small town, could you do things to bring more awareness from your community? Maybe like doing some good deeds for local organizations and try to get coverage from your local paper? Anything like that to further build word of mouth.

    Maybe join the local chamber of commerce.
  10. fool32696

    fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 993

    I live in a pretty small town. I think the population is a little over 2000. There are a lot of people in the surrounding area outside of the city limits. When I first started getting serious about mowing (about 5 years ago) I went door to door. I picked up some here and there from friends, family, and aquaintances. From there I've grown totally from word of mouth. When I graduated high school I had about 15 regular accounts and in 3yrs I have more than doubled that number while attending college. To be honest I can't figure out how this small town supports all these LCOs. Do good work at a fair price and keep a professional appearance and the work will come to you.

Share This Page