anything to help this tree, or take it down?

Trees Too

LawnSite Fanatic

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Ok, so in the future I'll keep the mulch back from the trunk. But I don't think its a factor in this situation. The much was added a couple weeks ago, and the mushrooms have been coming up a long time. We also have mushrooms coming up out in the grass around this tree. The mulch isn't very thick and doesn't last very long. I just keeps the grass from getting established right up to the trunk in the spring, so I don't have to trim.

To go for a resprout, wouldn't I need to leave a stump? Would I be able to trim into a normal shaped tree with a clean trunk, or would it end up looking bushy?

Thanks for the input guys!
Understand about the mulch string trimmer have damaged alot of trees too

that trunk looks like rot is taken over so eventually will lose it

You can cut it flush and see if you get a resprout to train into a tree or multi trunk shrub

OP
K

ksJoe

LawnSite Senior Member
I cut the tree down a week ago. The logs were piled up in the shade for the last week, in which we got a lot of rain. Now the logs look like tihs.

The tree was already collonized with some variety of mushroom. I assume this is what was killing the tree.

IMG_20200516_113945649.jpg
IMG_20200516_113959170_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200516_114012489.jpg

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
I cut the tree down a week ago. The logs were piled up in the shade for the last week, in which we got a lot of rain. Now the logs look like tihs.

The tree was already collonized with some variety of mushroom. I assume this is what was killing the tree.

View attachment 401923 View attachment 401924 View attachment 401925
Not sure they killed the tree they usually grow on decomposing material
The tree was likely dying

Maybe wet wood disease as well

Did you notice any smell when you cut the tree down?
Thanks for the update tooThumbs Up

agrostis

LawnSite Gold Member
Tree's in the willow family are just weak and wet in general. A few years ago a friend of mine added a 7 year old piece of weeping willow to a already burning fire and it almost put the fire out. It just never dried out.

OP
K

ksJoe

LawnSite Senior Member
Did you notice any smell when you cut the tree down?
I did not.

There was one small cavity, a slightly hollow place, just a couple inches deep. But several places even though the tree looked solid it was spongy inside. I could dig it out with my fingernails.

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
I did not.

There was one small cavity, a slightly hollow place, just a couple inches deep. But several places even though the tree looked solid it was spongy inside. I could dig it out with my fingernails.
Sounds like wet rot

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
Aren't willows just overgrown weeds?