Anywhere I can send my soil analysis for help determining amendments?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Bluelude1, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Bluelude1

Bluelude1 LawnSite Member

I've had a number of areas soil tested by Waypoint and they seem to do a decent report, but a lot of their recommendations are pretty generic and when I call to talk to their "expert" they kind of seem annoyed that I am even asking the question.

Is there somewhere I can send the soil analysis results that can help me put a game plan together to optimize the soil based on what's there?

I can spend a lot of time researching target organic matter rates, pH and micro nutrients, but if it's reasonable I far prefer paying someone that really knows the subject.

2. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Silver Member

Up here you can give it to Siteone / John Deere Landscape/ lesco and I’m pretty sure they send it to MSU, but try your local
    Site one

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Bluelude1

Good to know

4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

starry night and hort101 like this.
  5. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

We use waypoint but I mean you are paying around $16 for a basic NPK and organic test. I don't think they want or can afford to spend time on the phone at those rates (and I like those rates).

hort101 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Bluelude1

I didn't make the comment to suggest I wanted more for my $$$ from them. I simply acknowledged that I couldn't get the more detailed information I am interested in from them.

hort101 likes this.
  7. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Bronze Member

My biggest wholesale nursery sends it to va tech and it’s like $20

hort101 likes this.
  8. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Good resource your local ag universityThumbs Up

Also look into your local co op extension it goes by county
    They should be able to analyze your results and give recommendations for your local areaThumbs Up
    Probably can do tests too

Idlewild and phasthound like this.
  9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Fee free to get your own soil test kit. They range from about $10 to $225 (the heavy duty analytic version).
    Of course you can also get pH papers which turn color according to the acidity--very inexpensive.

You can be the only company in town that soil tests every lawn --do this in winter.

hort101 likes this.
  10. takervader

takervader LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Clemson, Auburn